Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate encounters

Any chance you have a small refrigerant leak in the evaporator area? The filings, I think would be from the mfg. process as you said.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    strange condensate

I know that we have all ran into some funky looking stuff in a/c condensate lines and traps but i recently replaced a air handler and also replace about 15 ft of 3/4 pvc new trap ,union and all the good stuff also blew out the rest of the line all was good and well .i get a call about water coming out the emergency drain line so i go check it out and find the primary drain clogged but with looked and felt like aliumuin filings with a oil like mixture i also found a light oil like coating on the drain pan never saw this type of stuff in over 20 years ,my guess it was residue fron manufacturing the coil? this was a replacement for a old 10 seer unit and we used a fedders air handler we have used a few of them before and never ran into this stuff ,peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Get ready

Be prepared to change that coil out. I bet it leaks, that's the only time I've ever seen oil in the pan was on leakers.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    no leaks

On the install the line set and coil where pressure tested with nitrogen and held ,charge was checked and she was on target with the charge ,thee was no evidence of any leaks on or near the expansion valve or factory connection ,i just found it wierd the subtance was more like lithium grease with aliumium filings with a redish tint peace andgood luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.