Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smoke bombs?

Options
I haven't used them in a while either but they're still on the shelf at the supply house.

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    o k a y

So Dan says not to do anything for family, neighbors, or your church.....

My neighbor came over this evening and asked about a report a company did on the house she's selling.

It seems that the tech(?) did a smoke bomb test on one of the furnaces in the house. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't heard of anyone doing a smoke bomb test on a heat exchanger is 15 plus years. I use a Bacarach Monoxor or a Fyrite Pro for my HX testing.

How about y'all?
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I have used them

but that was for checking a draft hood on a boiler and a kitchen exhaust hood, but never for a heat exchanger!
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    smoke bombs

I have use them on occasion doing insurance inspections for puff backs....if all else fails. A crack can open and close with heat in the exchanger and can be difficult to find or "observe" with other instruments. I keep a small supply on board for that reason. Done correctly, they can be an effective detection tool. Not exactly modern electronic science, but......sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.
This discussion has been closed.