Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sizing replacement boiler

Options
Tom Hopkins
Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
to uninsulated mains is insulate them not oversize the boiler.Select a boiler based on sq/ft of radiation,no need to change sq/ft to BTU's. The sq/ft ratings are all on Mfg's spec sheets and websites

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mike Kehoe
    Mike Kehoe Member Posts: 2
    Options
    sizing new boiler, pickup factor

Gentlemen, I have calculated the EDR of my home's radiators, which totals 503. My understanding is that I then multiply that number by 240, giving me 120,720. Assuming that I'm correct so far, I have two questions: First, am I supposed to select a new boiler that has a "Net I=B=R" rating that is closest to this number? And second, do I have to factor in the piping? I have an article that I got off the web, apparentlyl written by someone at Burnham, which states: "There is generally no need to add a 'fudge factor' of any sort if the basement is reasonably warm and the mains are insulated, because the net IBR ratings already incorporate a 33% pickup factor to cover the system inefficiencies. If the basement is very cold and there are excessively long mains that are not insulated, then a small additional factor may want to be incorporated into the boiler sizing." Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  • Mike Kehoe_2
    Mike Kehoe_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    boiler sizing

So that I'm clear, are you saying that if the pipes are insulated, I should choose a new radiator based on the EDR of the radiators, without factoring in anything for the piping?
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    There's

already .33 factored in, why would you feel that is insufficient?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike Kehoe_3
    Mike Kehoe_3 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I wasn't saying that it was insufficient. My question was simply whether the publication was accurate in stating that the pickup was already factored into the Net I=B=R rating. I now understand that it is. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.