Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

From rats to raccoons...ideas? (off topic)

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
That would be the wife...she closed her eyes and pointed the camera. When she saw how big the rat was, she had to look! It wazs 15 OZ according to the refridg scale!

I would use antifreeze or the plaster thing but there are my dogs and neighbor cats to look out for...you know...

T
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

Well, I finally took care of the rats, and now it's raccoons...but they are much smarter. I get them eating the dog's food, and see GIANT ones sitting right by my back door. I set out a trap, and covered it, but no luck. Any ideas on trapping 'coons? Years back I trapped one, got lucky I guess. It was comming in the house, and I rigged the dog door to only swing in, and protected myself with a sheet of cardboard and figured I would grab it and put in a box...I have seen many cartoons on this subject. HOLY CRAP!!! What a mean, snarling, nasty creature!!! I almost dropped a microwave on it to end my ordeal, but I managed to get the door open and it left. This one seems smarter.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Rabies

Any animal that approaches with confidence should be considered rabid until it can produce a note from it's doctor. IOW: Hone your shooting skills and use Ruger interview techniques.

I had raccoons nesting in my attic a few years ago and was surprised how little space they can squirm through. A couple of inches above my gutter and below the shingle line.

I trapped one with a Have-A-Heart trap using tuna fish as bait but later heard that fruit is better as it will not attract cats.

I was about to release it a few miles away in a wooded area still in the City of Boston. Just as I was about to release it, a searchlight held by an environmental police officer shone my way. $1,000 fine for unlicensed trapping and release.

I managed to convince the officer that the raccoon and I were dating, this being Massachusetts and all, so he let me go with a warning or maybe it was a blessing on the union, I forget. I had to destroy that animal on my property.

Your laws, thankfully, will vary...
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • kevin coppinger_12
    kevin coppinger_12 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    how about anti-freeze....

sweet prestone...kpc
  • R. Swatton
    R. Swatton Member Posts: 86
    Options

Mix plaster of paris with oatmeal and leave it for supper.
    It allways worked for me.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Who snapped the picture?

> Mix plaster of paris with oatmeal and leave it

> for supper. It allways worked for me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Who snapped the picture?

> Mix plaster of paris with oatmeal and leave it

> for supper. It allways worked for me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    Congradulations

Nice rat. Enter it in the Boone and Crockett listings!
    Watch out for the coons, though. Them things is smart. I had them pull in the minnow bucket hand over hand while standing on the transom of my boat; then get the minnows out and eat them. Then they squeezed in thru the wing vent on the motorhome and had a party. Sat in the captain's chairs and ate a whole bag of peanuts, spinning around and tossing the shells everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.