Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunkirk wiring

Options
Mitch_4
Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
was the original 95% fixed input condensing boiler (the Quantum Leap)

It uses the sam econtroller as the Quantum 90 a UTEC 1013. That controls only 1 circ.

Using the TACO control just connect the dry contacts that tell the boiler when there is a call for heat (X,X) to the thermostat connections on the QL, you can use the circ connections to run the primary circulator, and the TACO for the zone circs.

Good luck

Comments

• Jon L.
    Jon L. Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Dunkirk boiler install

Let me begin by saying that I am a home inspector, and have been a lurker on this site for quite some time. A huge thank you goes out to all the contributers, as your input has made me much better at my job by being able to identify the reasonings behind some of the piping "sculptures" I have come across, as well as getting educated to new products. You all have my utmost respect with your knowledge. My question is regarding an install of a used Dunkirk condensing boiler. My son has just purchased his first home and making improvements on a shoestring, the first being the removal of electric baseboard heat to be replaced with the QL100. Our desired install will have 3 baseboard heat zones and an indirect DHW tank. My question is in regards to wiring. The boiler comes with an integrated boiler control which unless I'm missing something, will not allow me to run 4 circulators. My thought is to utilize a Taco 504 switching relay w/priority, but am unclear if and how I can marry this to the integrated control wiring. I have the schematics for both, but the harder I look the more I seem to confuse myself. Any takers?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Hello Jon.....

If I am reading you correctly you have the Q-90 condensing boiler or is it the Q95? Anyways the Taco zone control 504 model should be all you need for all 4 total zones. 3 will be controlled as regular demand and the remaining # 4 zone for DHW will be your priority zone. R/W on the boiler is all you need to connect for activation of the boiler itself thru the NO contacts. If you can give us the complete mod, # and also the schematic. Also, what make of zone valves are you using?

Mike T.
  • Jon L.
    Options
    Mike & Mitch

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Between the time I posted my question and being able to respond, in addition to your input, I found pretty much my identical question on the Taco web site under a commonly asked questions section under controls. What a great website. Thanks again for your help. Step one of this project will be helping him get up & running. Step two will be hopefully having some fun, tweaking things to see how close we can get to the manufacturers claim of 95% AFUE efficiency. I'm not expecting miracles, but I found the research article that was recently posted here from the Brookhaven laboratory on using condensing boilers with outdoor reset controls pretty interesting. We'll see what happens.
    Jon
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    I have one of those QL's and....

hitting 95% on a combustion test is easy. On a typical winter day I am running about 98% with my (mostly) standing radiation sized for about 155F at design. They tend to need much more regular care than old iron boilers. Figure on replacing all those tubing clamps within a few years. My QL, however, needs very little flushing out of the eaten away aluminum of the heat excahnger. I suspect it is due to the fact that there is so much condensate produced, even at return water temps above 160F or higher. If you have any questions about the boiler, call Mark at Dunkirk tech.....He really knows his way around these units. One of the best techs around.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 706
    Options

Mike T is correctly offering the SR504 relay board, with 4th zone priority. See attached literature for more information on this product.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Jon L.
    Options
    Thanks again

for the feedback. Boilerpro- It's especially comforting to get first hand experience feedback, and help referances. Greatly appreciated.
    Jon
  • Jon L.
    Options
    Boilerpro,

I was rereading your response. Will you please clarify "standing radiation"? That is a term I am unfamiliar with.
    Jon
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    Standing Radiation.....

is typically old cast iron radiators, at least as I understand it. Still and probably never will be less than one of the most efficient heating systems around.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.