Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

reflextive glass glazing

Options
Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
The first question I would ask is, "how much of the gain is due to the glass itself?". If the glass accounts for 50 percent, easy to work with that. If 15 percent, not so much. If it is a short peak at noon then nothing before or after, that is another matter- how many hours does the glass see sunlight and from what angle? Yes, a lot goes into it.

Here is a short primer on glass coating location:

If you are dealing with Low-E coatings on the "in-between" surfaces of double glass (I know you are not but bear with me here), there are two location options: The inside-facing surface of the outer pane or the outside-facing surface of the inner pane.

(Glass manufacturers refer to these as the surface numbers 2 and 3 and frankly I always forget were surface 1 starts! Outside or inside? The inside I think but I am not sure.)

Anyway, if the coating is on the inside face of the exterior pane, it is good for winter heating benefit to the interior because the air space allows reflection back into the space; radiant flux.

If on the outside surface of the interior pane it will better reflect solar radiation back out.

Both work for both situations, just that the right application works much better.

Now, I think you are referring to applied reflective films. The kind we always see as bronze and with bubbles and tears? If the film is installed on the outside of the glass, it will reflect more of the short wavelengths (UV mostly) but especially if a dark color, will absorb the longer wavelengths, namely infrared. The warmer surface will increase glass transmission gains by a factor of three or more because the glass surface, formerly about ambient is now 130 degrees or more. Ouch. Some of the IR radiation is blocked of course, does not penetrate the skin and re-emit on the inside but you about get it anyway.

So.... do you have a heat gain for the space especially broken down by surface type? That is where I would start. Sorry for rambling....

Brad
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    reflextive glass glazing

Wondering if any one has any infomation on effects of glazings on heat gain loads and if it could reduce the heat gain ,the dining room of a building i service has atrium type cieling which are all glass and of course facing south east which cook during the day ,they all ready have alot of cooling 6 4 ton emi flush mount fan /evap units and about 10 console unit which are chilled water and i believe there rated at about 3 ton each ,they simple refuse to use the 9 cieling fan to help push the load downward nor crack the sky lights to remove some of the heat from the gable area ,i fiqured that maybe a add on reflextive film glazing would help drop the solar gain a bit any thoughts ?peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Films

Is this what you are thinking of?

3M Residential Window Films
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    that's it

Thanks andrew and brad also 'i'm at the moment just looking and trying to fiqure out how to reduce the heat gain one reason being is that the original installation of the cieling mounted emi unit and there piping has lead to alot of issues least of which is condensate pan leakage ,condensate blow over leaks and cabinet condensation noise and condenser short clycing just to name a few but there's plenty more as for the installation space extremely confined to only a few over french door going from one dining area to the glass room ,i'm still letting it seat in my mind until they are finally totally had it with those emi units and call for a better set up thanks again for your input and infinite knoweledge peace andf good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.