Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No walk in the park! (GrandPAH)

Options
Maine Doug_65
Maine Doug_65 Member Posts: 24
it is worse in Baltimore. We need to arm the citizens.

Comments

• Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_1
    Options
    Rendering assistance - a must

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_6450014

Lois & I were involved too: I'm the guy in the article with the cell phone that called 911. It was a bizarre scene & Richard, quoted extensively in the article, is a well-known 'character' who happened upon the scene about ten minutes after Lois & me. The Jesus freaks really tripped his trigger. He told them he "worships at the church of the open zipper - open your legs for Jesus!" That damn near resulted in a fist fight between Richard and the Jesus freaks. It was a crazy and odd collection of assorted nuts!

Lois & I were on our way to utilize the restrooms and just slightly uphill from the swings immediately adjacent to the restrooms when we heard a scream. Parents immediately snatched childen from the swings and ran away - causing us to think a bee had stung one (or more) of the children. About a nano-second later, we saw two men outside the restroom & immediately saw that one of them was bleeding profusely. I called 911 and together with the first gent, who had evidently interrupted the perps, we assisted the victim as best we could until the police and ambulance arrived.

Our son Mike had used the mens room just minutes before the attack and I was headed there - just seconds after the attack. The cuts and bruises on Dr Hupper's face were pretty grim and a sight we'll never forget.

We suggested to the York Symphony director, Henry Nixon, that they should place porta-pottys at the top of the hill for future events. That way, the restrooms would be in close proximity to the concert-goers and be much safer. In addition, lots of folks who attended wouldn't have been physically able to hike that hill to the lower-in-elevation public restrooms. We were told, yesterday, that this will now be done. The city is planning to add patrols durng future concerts too.

Having once been the victim of a group assault, I could easily relate to Hupper's feelings. I was 15 at the time & regular folks in the immediate vicinity simply looked the other way and would not get involved. Once you've been through something like that, there's no way you can walk away from helping someone else.

We will be back in the park at the upcoming concerts.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    You are.....

commended for aiding the victim Dave. I hope the Police are able to catch these sharks. It sounds like you were lucky not to be the one attacked!

Is this park in a bad area?

Jim
    Jim Bennett
    Options
    today's news update

It's just one of those things you do because you'd hope others would do the same for you. I read of a man drowning at the shore yesterday while trying to save his children caught in a riptide. A boatload of tourists videotaped him drowning instead of rendering aid.

Here's today's newspaper article. The park in question is not in a bad area, but there's not really any park within any city that's totally 'safe' either. There's some speculation that this was gang related and that beating someone might be part of an initiation. When I was in high school, local gangs had an unwritten code of conduct: while it was acceptable to beat the ever-livin snot out of each other gang-vs-gang, it was not acceptable to target citizens.

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_6458857

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brian_18
    Brian_18 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    BRAVO Thanks

Mr. Yates, I wish there were more people like you in the world, and less of the dirt bag types.
    Options
    the real hero

was the older gent who was already assisting Hupper by applying pressure to his head wound - a long gash running front to back about 3" long that looked like it was cut using a sharp blade.

He himself had exited the mens room as Hupper was entering. He saw the perps enter while one of them ramained as a lookout. Thinking that to be peculiar behavior, he turned to go back & that prompted the lookout to signal the ones already beating Hupper & they all fled. Had he not done that, I would have entered the mens room about 20 or 30 seconds later.

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Bet this

will make the York city government sell the park land to the highest-bidding developer.

Hey, they might be able to hire more inspectors with the money they'd get!

Don't laugh, it could happen.....

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Well, we do have

a new police commissioner...

Make that "Yet Another" new police commissioner.... at least the recently departed one hasn't been indicted.... yet....

and an election coming up this fall. Time to throw the bums out!

This discussion has been closed.