Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Today's fun

Options
the Sun.

Yesterday, I spent 3 hours on a hot rooftop repairing a hole in a condenser coil. Someone had thrown something on the roof and got lucky, putting a small hole in a Carrier condenser coil. I fixed it, installed a LL drier, pressure tested it to 120 pounds, and evacuated it to 500 microns. Rain was coming in, so I didn't wait to see how long it held. I recharged it. It was running fine when I left.

I went back today to finish the filter change and clean the evap coils (The 'new' granular cleaner is r e a l nice). I also checked the unit I repaired.

I had a temp drop of 33° across the LL drier! Wow...

I recovered the refrigerant and repeated what I had done the day before, except I left the vac pump running longer to get more moisture. I recharged it and will hope for the best. I'll be back next week to look again.

Now for the real fun of the day. I got a no-cool call for a house up for sale. The blown cap and HS kit was fairly normal (for us with our recent storms) but the LL drier was the most amazing.

Take a look....

(By the way, I replaced the capacitors, but didn't touch the drier assembly)

Comments

• mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Thanks for the memories!

Your pics/activities remind me of what I used to do when I was younger..heal the sick and mis-installed equipment of the world. Be careful in the heat, take care of your body well!...for today's little aches / pains will haunt you for life if you let them...God bless!...mfm
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Charcoal

Nicely fried!Hi Jeff!I'e found that those "hard start" devices cannot take rapid and repeated restarts so we add a time delay device. And they also have to be sized by the mfd rating of the start cap needed by the compressor.One size does not fit all! Good Luck!
  • rucomfy
    rucomfy Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Exactly....

those booster capacitors should only be used overnight to get out of a jam. Seen too many destroyed by recycling too quickly or incorrect back emf rating.

IMHO, a hard start kit is a OEM approved start capacitor and the proper potential relay.

Every compressor series has it's own winding requirement and should have the proper cap and relay.

After all, we all don't wear size 10E shoes do we ??
    One size does not fit all.

Put a super booster on Carrier or Bryant equipment and you own it. Try that nonsense on a two stage compressor and two speed compressor and you bought it too. Wait till the inverters come into the mainstream market.....
This discussion has been closed.