Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex-al-pex

Options
scott markle_2
scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
since onyx is not pex, also the aluminum in onyx is more of a mylar film than true aluminum, from what I understand. what a bozo move with the alcohol.

Comments

• wayne s._2
    wayne s._2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    pex-al-pex

I was recently told that there have been problems with the inner coating or layer of pex in this pipe. It was de-laminating and that some countries in Europe have banned it's use. Is this authentic or just a rumour?
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

The only case I have heard is in open loop systems.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Strange

Pex is Pex, why would the inner layer of pex-al-pex delaminat and not regular Pex ,, which it is .

If pex delaminates and no one sees it, is it still pex ?

Weezbo ?

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Options
    open loop

Can't see why O2 would have an effect.Cant blame everything on open loop systems. The fosta pex I use is designed for domestic water and heat.

As far as adding to this concern. I was curious about the availability of 3/8" pex al pex and contacted a vendor that I found by a Google search. I was advised to stick with standard pex as the only pex failure that this person had observed involved pex al pex.

I hope there is no legitimacy to any broad problem with this type of pipe. I had always assumed pex al pex pipe to be more robust. The inner layer of Viega fosta pex is essentially identical to SDR9 pipe, as the outer layer is striped off and the same fittings are used for both.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options
    no,...

The only thing remotly close was someone used alcohol to winterize on onyx slab...the stuff bubbleed up and plugged itself solid. They shouldn't have used alcohol.
This discussion has been closed.