Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Glowcore replacement

Options
Leo Galozo
Leo Galozo Member Posts: 16
looked at a boiler room today with a 14 year old Glowcore. The owner wants to terminate its life and get something new in there. 2 1/2" vent (intake and exhaust) piping running total length of about 110' plus 6 90's.

Anyone think of a good replacement for the old beast?

Thanx!

Leo G

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    The HTP Contender

vents with 2" all the way to the 110,000 size. Check their website for venting lengths, etc.

Their new Phoenix also vents with 2"

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Won't work

Hi Leo,

Are you sure the PVC is 2 1/2? That would be rare and it also needs to be Sch. 40 or 80 and not a foam core. If the pipe is indeed three inch, the contender can only do 110' equivalent and elbows = 5' with 3 inch, so you can't do it. You may also need to figure in extra depending on the termination. I can't think of any condensating boiler I've ever put in that would do 110' with 6 elbows. That's probably one of the many problems he's had with the Glowcore. You're prolly gonna have to figure out another way to vent a replacment. I believe the NY thermal Trinity and the HTP Contender are 2 of the longest equivalent venting boilers out there. Good luck!

Steve
  • joeoilman
    joeoilman Member Posts: 30
    Options

a knight is the perfect replacement for a glowcore. if you're in upstate ny call HOW Pumps 315-652-3200
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    110 ft for each supply & intake??

+ 6 elbows? if so, no go on any of the units as they are max out at 100 equiv. If I remember accurately.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    ????

Why is there 110ft of vent? Can you move the boiler closer to wall?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I think you could go farther

but it starts hitting the BTU output pretty hard. I remember seeing a derate table from one manufacturer when you combined two 1-1/2" PVC together to vent. This was in an effort to replace Hydropulses which had 1-1/2 intake and exhaust.

If you had two hydropulses side by side you could make two 3" vents out of the four 1-1/2, to install a 140 or 199 modcon.

I think some AHJ's put the nix on that concept ;)

hot rod

• Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Yep

> looked at a boiler room today with a 14 year old

> Glowcore. The owner wants to terminate its life

> and get something new in there. 2 1/2" vent

> (intake and exhaust) piping running total length

> of about 110' plus 6 90's.

>

> Anyone think of a

> good replacement for the old

> beast?

>

> Thanx!

>

> Leo G

• Leo G_101
    Leo G_101 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Well Joel

I have about 40 feet of chimney that is chock-a-block full, and the existing piping is well supported. The mechanical room if choch-a-block full, so the boiler is situated about 15 feet from ther chimney chase. And the owner just wants to do a boiler change out. Though there are a few pieces of equipment that could use a good retirement home.

You know, it is one of those jobs that you know you could sink your teeth into and really clean things up, and have a happy homeowner, but though they live in the most expensive part of town, they don't see the value in re-doing the whole room.

But I am thinking more along those lines now. Pricing the ripping out of the 2 Glowplugs and re/reing the pipe work. We shall see how that goes.

thanx to all for your time, I have a couple of my wholesalers looking into your suggestions for me, and when I return from our long weekend this weekend (happy birthday Canada!), I will cruise the websites and see what's what!

Happy independence day to you great friends to the south!

Leo G
This discussion has been closed.