Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic radiators without breaking the bank...?

Options
Glen_8
Glen_8 Member Posts: 3
I knew there had to be something more reasonable out there. At first glance it seems to be exactly what I was thinking of (what I remembered from visits to Europe in another life)...I'll be looking at their tech info very closely. Thank you very much Andrew!

Don't suppose you've had any experience with these yourself? Do you by chance know the disadvantage (or advantage) of steel vs. what ever the other guys are using (>$1000)...is it just the possibility of corrosion long term or is there an efficiency hit?...or is it just the 'designer' stying that bumps the price so much?

Comments

• Glen_8
    Glen_8 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Radiator options

We presently have an 42 year old home with old (but great) hydronic heat, presently in the form of baseboard radiators. We're doing some remodeling and would really like to free up some of the wall space the baseboard heating is taking up so we can put furniture more or less where we want to without blocking anything. Originally I wanted to go with floor radiant but the level we are remodeling has 8ft ceiling and a concrete slab. Not crazy about losing two or three inches for the solutions I've read about that there are out there for this situation so that I'm not heating good ol' mother earth instead of my home. Anyway, the next thing we thought of was to go with some standing radiators that we could put in the corners. We're just looking for something efficient and basic. So far we've only come across >$1000 bill-fold busters...any ideas on a good simple radiator source...or another way to approach the problem?

Thanks for the time...
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    Steel Panel Radiators

Have you looked at steel panel radiators? I think the VEHA radiators area a good value and they are <<$1000.
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    Form

Pete, make sure you fill out their heat loss form and send it to them. Don't just guess at the size radiators you need.

Just to let you know, I primarily install panels rads for customers and my entire house has them.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Panel Radiators

Yes, I have worked with the VEHA radiators as well as Stelrad radiators. They are very nice basic steel panel radiators at a good price. Most of the panel radiator manufacturers have a similar style as their "base model" panel rad. There is no disadvantage to using panel radiators. They can also be designed to work at fluid temperatures associated with condensing boilers if you decide to upgrade your boiler at some time in the future. Some people like the look of cast iron radiators, some prefer the look of Runtal panel radiators.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Dianorm

Dianorm wall panel radiators are very competitively priced.

www.heatlines.com

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ted_5
    Ted_5 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Radson

sold by www.hydronicalternatives.com

Ted
  • Larry C_11
    Larry C_11 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Recycle

How about the local scrap metal yard? Find some matching (or not) standing radiators that have the connections across the top and bottom. Hydro test to 50(?)psi. Have them sandblasted and painted. Add TRV's and you are in business, or at least heat.

Relatively inexpensive and they will make the Dead Men smile down at you.

Larry
This discussion has been closed.