Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are Jandy pool heaters considered High quality? Mad Dog

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,395
then again, I don't do many pool heaters. I had always heard that Laars...Teledyne Laars were the best. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• I think Jandy is Laars

I remeber seeing the name Jandy on the cardboard box on a recent install . Looks like a rebadge of the Laars .
  • Lyle C
    Lyle C Member Posts: 96
    Jandy

Mad Dog:
    I was told Jandy bought the pool heater divistion of Tele-Dyne when Bradford White bought the other half. I used to repair pool heaters for a local co. at one time The only problems we ever had with a Tele-dyne was when someone piped them without the bypass. The pool heater would then condense and go through a heat exchanger every year. I'm told they went to a copper nickel alloy just for this reson. Pipe it with the bypass and watch your delta T. You shouldn't have any problem.
  • Mike Thomas_2
    Mike Thomas_2 Member Posts: 109

Jandy is just a Teledyne Laars. You should take a look at StaRite/Pentair. Pentair just bought StaRite. The Starite uses the latest technology and makes a great heater. I install them all the time!
  • Eric_37
    Eric_37 Member Posts: 1
    Jandy heater

Take a look at the Lochinvar EnergyRite pool heater. They have improved on the heater and it has a higher efficiency than Jandy and very impressive control panel.
  • Paul B._2
    Paul B._2 Member Posts: 62
    Laars Family Tree

Hi Guy’s,

Lyle is correct, since our sale to Bradford White Corporation in 2005, Laars Heating Systems Company is no longer affiliated with Jandy Corporation.

A little Laars history:

In 1948 Avy Miller formed Laars Engineering in North Hollywood California. Laars is an acronym for the names of his children, Lewis, Anne, Adel, Rhoda, and Steve. The company began with pool heaters, and the copper fin design was born.

In 1955 Laars Engineers began building hydronic boilers, and volume water heaters for commercial use, manufacturing in North Hollywood, and Oakville Ont.

In 1966 Teledyne purchased Laars Engineers, and we became Teledyne Laars.

In 1988 manufacturing of pool heaters moved from North Hollywood to Moorpark California.

In 1989 the Rochester NH manufacturing plant opened, and commercial products moved down to the states from Ontario.

In 1996 Teledyne purchases Jandy Industries, and begins marketing Teledyne Laars pool heaters under the Jandy name.

In 1999 the Allegheny Teledyne Company spun off three smaller companies, one of which was Waterpik Technologies (yes the tooth brush people) and at that time “Teledyne Laars” became Laars Heating Systems. Jandy continues to manufacture pool heaters under the Laars/Jandy name.

In 2005 Bradford White purchases Laars Heating Systems from Waterpik Technologies and we become Laars Heating Systems Company. Waterpik Technologies retains ownership of Jandy Corporation, and with it the residential pool heater business.

Basically, the people in Moorpark California who were manufacturing the “Teledyne Laars” pool heaters in sizes ranging from 125,000 btu to 400,000 btu are still making them, but under the Jandy name.

The people in New Hampshire who were making the commercial pool heaters in sizes that range from 500,000 btu to 5,000,000 btu are still making them under the Laars name.

So - if you have a Jandy, or Teledyne Laars product 400,000 btu, or less those are manufactured and supported by Jandy, from their California office, as we here in NH are no longer affiliated with Waterpik/Jandy.

If you have an older commercial Teledyne Laars, or Laars Heating Systems Company pool heater 500,000 btu, and up Laars Heating Systems Company continues to manufacture and support those products.

Sincerely,

Paul Bock
    Applications Engineer
    Laars Heating Systems Company
  • TOOLSHED61
    TOOLSHED61 Member Posts: 1
    AVY MILLER/ THE INVENTOR OF THE POOL HEATER!

COMPLETELY INCORRECT!~

AVY MILLER WAS MY DEAREST GRAND UNCLE! HE LIVED ONE BLOCK FROM MY HOUSE IN ROYAL OAKS CALIFORNIA~ HIS DAUGHTERS, ANDREA, STEPHANIE, AND LINDSEY WERE VERY CLOSE COUSINS. AVY'S WIFE WAS ROBERTA MILLER, MY AUNTIE BOBBI~ WHOM MY MOM WAS NAMED AFTER~

FOR THE RECORD, AND FOR HISTORY'S SAKE, "LAARS" STANDS FOR "LINDSAY, ANDREA, AVY, ROBERTA, AND STEPHANIE. THE MILLER FAMILY IN ALL~ MY UNCLE AVY TAUGHT ME MANY THINGS. ONE OF WHICH WAS TO DRIVE. HE HAD A EARLY JAG XJ CONVERTIBLE, RHD, WHICH WAS COMPLETLY FOREIGN TO DRIVE FOR ME IN THE EARLY 1970'S~ ALAS, HE WAS INDEFATIBLE AND A TRUE "MAVERICK"!.. MY FATHER, WHOM HE WAS VERY CLOSE, USED TO SAY MY UNCLE AVY WAS A 20TH CENTURY ICON~ QUIETLY KNOWN, UNNASSUMING, GREAT ART COLLECTION. WONDERFUL DAD, UNCLE, AND FABULOUS TASTE!

MISS AND LOVE HIM~

RIC~
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    out of the blue after such a long time!

thank you so much for the correction in the laars history.

what a wonderful web site we are part of to bring out the contributions of family members of the original engineers/founders!--nbc
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,583
    Thanks, Ric.

I know that to be true. Can you tell us what became of the children? 
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.