Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Horizontal ULTRAPlus

Options
Howard_6
Howard_6 Member Posts: 4
Thanks Mike,

I will look at those. I think HTP makes a 30 gallon low boy as well. I need to ask the HO how the recovery and output have been with the horizontal tank.

Comments

• Howard_6
    Howard_6 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I looked a a job today with a horizontal PLUS tank (older style blue model). There is very low clearance in the crawlspace, less than 30". Can a new ULTRA Plus be set horizontal or does anyone know of a shorter indirect water heater?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

While I couldn't find physical dimensions at the W-M website, all of their indirects are pictured vertically. Granted the "tank-in-tank" design shouldn't matter much with regards to orientation and heat transfer, but I don't think I'd turn one sideways...

Crown, Viessman and others make true horizontal indirects.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    That tank

when offered by Triangle Tube, once had a horizontal model. It used a different type of dip tube, and had a de-rate formula for output included in the installation manual.

It hasn't been offered in awhile, but there may be some in the system yet?

I guess if the owner is happy with the output...

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options

It would be nice to know why they discontinued the horoz. units?
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    Commissioning must have been fun...

Laid out horizontally, the inner cylinder would only be supported at one end. The fill instructions for the vertical model are very strict in that you should fill and pressurize the domestic cylinder before adding boiler water (or risk having a very small domestic tank after it gets squeezed by the boiler water's pressure).

Holding several hundred pounds of water in a long cylinder from only one end can't be good for the tank unless I'm missing something or they had some additional internal support when they offered the horizontal version.

The horizontal tank is still vailable in Europe in a 160l / 43 gallon version. Perhaps there wasn't enough demand for it here? They even make an inverted version with the tappings on the bottom for mounting inside the cabinets of wall hung boilers.

http://www.acv.com/int-en/03_05/51/app.rvb
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options

This discussion has been closed.