Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finding a Pex kink in slab--PGP

Options
Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
The owner is a well known acoustic guitar maker from NYC who lost his factory, tools and instrument collection in a tragic fire in 1981. He had moved the factory to NH fro the lower east side when NYC rents skyrocketed. He now only makes the parts and sells them to Martin, Fender, etc. His original instruments sell on eBay.

I've made friends with this guy, he's from NY, comes from the same tribe and he owns parrots. Like me. It's way cool to see the processes of rare wood parts production close up. He tells the greatest stories of how the woods come to be so grainy, or rippley... He's spare in his words, slightly curmudgeonly, but with a big heart. I've watched him work, he watches me work...we're on the same plane.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Options
    Any fixes from the thermal camera crew??

a project we just took on comes on a factory barge where they build guitar parts, The Barge is 100 x 40 ft and has radiant heating within a 4" structural slab, built to hold tons of fab equipment. The pex is 25/20 (mm that is) installed 7 years ago by a local company who was rather inexperienced. I'm being kind. The pex sizing is no longer made, nor are there splice kits available.

The owner tells me that only 3 loops were installed,which makes the loop lengths over 1000 ft each of 3/4" (25mm). That the barge heats with these excessive loops seems amazing, than he informed me that one of the loops is kinked, and is restricting flow. How would it be possible to find the kink??

Let's get kinky!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Assuming

Assuming that you can find the kink and "unearth" it, how are you going to repair it if there are no fittings available for that size tube?

AFA finding the tube goes, it will be very tough to pinpoint the exact spot of the kink. I would think though that armed with a good thermal imaging device or camera, you should be able to track the particular loop to a point where the temperature of the floor changes somewhat and at least have a place to start. It'll be interesting to hear how it turns out.
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    finding a kink

Could you disconnect both ends of the kinked loop and run water at a higher pprssuer in one end. Then with a geo-phone listen and find the squirt? it should b e hissing loud enough to hear it.
  • bigugh_4
    Options
    finding a kink

Could you disconnect both ends of the kinked loop and run water at a higher pressuer in one end. Then with a geo-phone listen and find the squirt? it should be hissing loud enough to hear it.
  • Paul Pollets
    Options
    Repairs

I've already made 2 splices using stainless band clamps and Uponor fittings with 3/4" hePEX between the cut ends. A machinist/diver on the dock let us use the unique tool.

We'll have opportunity to explore some options. I'd bet the equipment on the floor of the shop puts out many K btu's. We're about to retrofit the barge with a Vitodens 8/32, with a horiz. V300 under the bilge to replace an Amtrol indirect.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    What brand of guitar

Or is it just parts and sub assemblies? If it's a complete instrument, I want one. Sounds cool!
  • bigugh_4
    Options
    geo-phone?

disconnect both ends of the kinked loop. run a higher pressure water into one end. Listen for the leak with a geo-phone.
  • Larry C_8
    Larry C_8 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Do you know which loop is kinked?

Do you know which loop is kinked? Would you be allowed to isolate the other two loops and then drive the one loop with as hot as you can go. Then use thermal imaging to find the step change in temperature.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Big Ugh?

Is this the same Gary?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how ARE YOU?
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    easy

> a project we just took on comes on a factory

> barge where they build guitar parts, The Barge is

> 100 x 40 ft and has radiant heating within a 4"

> structural slab, built to hold tons of fab

> equipment. The pex is 25/20 (mm that is)

> installed 7 years ago by a local company who was

> rather inexperienced. I'm being kind. The pex

> sizing is no longer made, nor are there splice

> kits available.

>

> The owner tells me that only

> 3 loops were installed,which makes the loop

> lengths over 1000 ft each of 3/4" (25mm). That

> the barge heats with these excessive loops seems

> amazing, than he informed me that one of the

> loops is kinked, and is restricting flow. How

> would it be possible to find the kink??

>

> Let's

> get kinky!

>

>

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 104&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• Paul Pollets
    Options
    Info

we know which loop is kinked, the expense of the fix vs the 1000ft loop lengths....lots to think about.

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    getting kinky

I like the idea of forcing high velocity water through it and getting someone like american leak to identify the noisy spot in the tube where restriction is. Good luck, Tim
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Listen here Mister...

> we know which loop is kinked, the expense of the

> fix vs the 1000ft loop lengths....lots to think

> about.

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 104&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

If it were MY project, I would first document the exact location of the tubes using FLIR camera. You may have to throw a 4 way reversing valve at it to make it get hot in a reasonable period of time. Once you've found it, I would use either water, or possibly a fluid that is ligher than water, but heavier than air, like nitrogen, and force that through the questionable circuit, and as Big Ugh and others have recomended, use ultrasonic equipment to find the noisiest spot.

Happy jack hammer surgerying!

ME
This discussion has been closed.