Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Who Made This Rad?

I'd assume it would be rated similar to a 2-column rad. Maybe some local foundry made it?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Any ideas?,

this is on a gravity HW system in a(at 1 time) doctors house. It appears like there are 3 "draw-rods" running slightly offset through the push nipples holding it together. Never saw one quite like this before.

Dave
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

BTSOOM. I've never seen anything like it. Possibly from "across the pond"?

Something tells me those rads would be truly stunning with a nice bronzing job.

With regards to EDR, my best guess would be similar to a two-column rad of the same height and same number of sections. The sections look rather narrow, but they look to be fairly deep.

IF the intermediate sections (unlike the end sections) have water-filled interior element(s) I'd consider it similar to a three-column.

While quite aesthetically pleasing and certainly not over-the-top with ornamentation, something tells me the design is not particularly good at radiating.
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543

It seems local as I've never heard of many radiators making it from europe over here in the late 1800's or even very early 1900's. It would be quite expensive to do so and even those radiators that were american crafted that were found in Europe came from the American companies that had a factory over there. Is that a register behind the radiator and would that be an exterior wall?
  • Yes it is Daniel,

this is a large old house and was built for a doctor. Originally the heating was (I believe) accomplished with fireplaces and various stoves located around the house. These wall registers are on the first floor inside walls, and must have provided combustion-air. I think the gravity HW system was added after the turn of the last century as most piping to the upper floors is exposed, and most rads are on the inside walls.

Dave
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Wow!

What a neat old place.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Wall registers

These were probably part of an old gravity scorched-air system. It was common practice to put registers for these systems on the inside walls or floors to keep the ducts short.

The rads were probably placed in front of the old registers either to hide them, or to heat incoming fresh air if they were converted to fresh-air-only use.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Could be Frank,

although any hint of its direction has been long gone. I can see no shadow in the basement floor, but the old boiler(long abandoned) is still there in a pit. Most of the basement was used up till about the 60`s as a rec room, and long before that, it used to be the kitchen the HO believes. Great old place, but the Raypak replacement someone installed 15yrs ago is greatly oversized and costing him a small fortune in fuel bills! Thinking a Prestige or Ultra for this-one.

Dave
  • Daniel_6
    Daniel_6 Member Posts: 1

Mr. and Mrs. Fancy Pants there. That house is goth if I've ever seen goth. Very cool though as the inside must have some very unique touches. I bet the fireplaces have some nice tile work with summer grilles of very high quality. I almost wish that was a picture of a flue-type rad system since I've never seen one in person. Those old gravity scorched air systems can be found also in the mansions in Newport such as "Rosecliff" and the "Breakers". The floors had registers as well as many interior walls and in the basments of these mansions are very large ductal corridors as much as 4ftx4ft that carried the heated air. This home seems to have played upon that same type of system. Cool.
  • Mr. Fancy Pants.
    Mr. Fancy Pants. Member Posts: 6
    better photo of the house.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=361579509&size=l

here is a better photo of the house, you may continue discussing what style of house it is, as near as we can figure it's a Gothic Revival, Victorian, Edwardian Mish Mash.

The architect did mostly Churches, so the few houses in town he did are very sculpted.

here is my wife's photo set as well
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aliyah613/sets/72157594503155167/
  • Seems like

now you got the HO involved!! Like Dan said,,,we can never have enough Canadians!!

Dave
  • Mr. Fancy Pants.

> although any hint of its direction has been long

> gone. I can see no shadow in the basement floor,

> but the old boiler(long abandoned) is still there

> in a pit. Most of the basement was used up till

> about the 60`s as a rec room, and long before

> that, it used to be the kitchen the HO believes.

> Great old place, but the Raypak replacement

> someone installed 15yrs ago is greatly oversized

> and costing him a small fortune in fuel bills!

> Thinking a Prestige or Ultra for

> this-one._BR__BR_Dave

by small fortune dave means a whopper $1920 February gas bill
  • Mr. Fancy Pants.

by small fortune dave means a whopper $1920 February gas bill
  • Daniel_3

All in good jesting Dr Fancy =) Glad you found the site.
  • Daniel_3

The slate design is very nice. Any photos of the basement piping or evidence of the first heating system? if your interested you can do a search for hevac-heritage which has quite a bit of information concerning old heating systems in churches. Medievil gothic-Edwardian mish mash- Victorian fits the description just fine.
  • Daniel_3

Oi Vay! Hope Dave's expertise lowers that figure for next Febuary.
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    $1920 in 28 days... Enbridge must love you!

The math on that is wild.

$1920/$0.50 (approximate cost of M3 of NG) = 3,840 M3

3840 M3/28 days = 137 M3/Day or 5.7 M3/hour

At 35,000 BTU/M3 that's the same as running a 200,000 BTU boiler flat out non-stop for the whole month.
  • Mr. Fancy Pants.

I have been called much worse than "Fancy Pants" so don't sweat it.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=383117810&size=o

is the old boiler, I think it says 1930 on it?
  • Daniel_3

Thanks for the picture. Don't know that brand at all but I don't know much at all.
  • I figured you,

were around Uni R,,,maybe I`ll show ya the place when I see ya! I`m sure the HO will give you a tour, what a #s guy!!!LOL!

Dave
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Second Empire

Mr Pants, even though your roof has fairly steep gables instead of the same Mansard roof styling as the central tower, I'd be tempted to call it Second Empire, although I could see why people also call it Gothic Revival.

There's some very interesting homes in Eastern Ontario of which your's is undoubtable one of them. One of my favourites is a Gothic Revival styled house in Picton on Hill Steet. Judge Merrill first built the house that is now the Merrill Inn and then later the smaller Hill Street house overlooking the bay with very steep gabling. He hung himself from his own balcony there.
  • Mr. Fancy Pants.
    grim

> Mr Pants, even though your roof has fairly steep

> gables instead of the same Mansard roof styling

> as the central tower, I'd be tempted to call it

> Second Empire, although I could see why people

> also call it Gothic Revival.

>

> There's some

> very interesting homes in Eastern Ontario of

> which your's is undoubtable one of them. One of

> my favourites is a Gothic Revival styled house in

> Picton on Hill Steet. Judge Merrill first built

> the house that is now the Merrill Inn and then

> later the smaller Hill Street house overlooking

> the bay with very steep gabling. He hung himself

> from his own balcony there.

Well I don't think anyone hung themselves in our house, but we do have a 1880 examination room, which you can still hear the screams.

And after being convinced our third floor was haunted, we discovered it was just bats and racoons, which we have since evicted. *waving fist*
  • Mr. Fancy Pants.
    grim

Well I don't think anyone hung themselves in our house, but we do have a 1880 examination room, which you can still hear the screams.

And after being convinced our third floor was haunted, we discovered it was just bats and racoons, which we have since evicted. *waving fist*
  • Daniel_3

I think that author name could stick with you for your subsequent posts here on the Wall Mr. Fancy Pants =) There is a guy here named Steamhead and another named Weezbo . . hehe.
  • I think that

this should be.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.