Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question concerning system - resetting and shutting down & mains

Options
Al Letellier_9
Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
Any boiler that is in continous need of being reset has a problem that needs correcting ASAP. Any good burner tech can solve and repair that problem for you. As to the vent, there definitely should be a vent at the end of the main. The idea is to get the main full of steam ASAP so the radiators can heat up evenly. With no main vent, the radiator vents to ALL the work and the heat-up time will be slower and uneven.

Comments

• MaryAnn
    MaryAnn Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Steam system;

I have a one-piple steam system. 1 1-2 ago, I had a Burnham 84V boiler put in. I'm learning through the Wall and going to a seminar & books--more about steam. I asked the contractor if I need vents on the mains, and he said "don't bother." Since I know more now, I believe that's wrong. Also, a few times during winter, the system shut down, then I reset (was okay) and then would keep shutting down and needing to reset. The main said it's something with atomization of oil. Does this seem right? I appreciate your feedback. Will look for someone with more steam experience. You learn as you go.

Thanks,
  • MaryAnn
    MaryAnn Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Vents on Mains

> I have a one-piple steam system. 1 1-2 ago, I

> had a Burnham 84V boiler put in. I'm learning

> through the Wall and going to a seminar &

> books--more about steam. I asked the contractor

> if I need vents on the mains, and he said "don't

> bother." Since I know more now, I believe that's

> wrong. Also, a few times during winter, the

> system shut down, then I reset (was okay) and

> then would keep shutting down and needing to

> reset. The main said it's something with

> atomization of oil. Does this seem right? I

> appreciate your feedback. Will look for someone

> with more steam experience. You learn as you

> go.

>

> Thanks,

Question to steam pros: I have no vents on Main of one-pipe system. I realize vents s/b added, but I'm wondering how big a job this is. Are there any risks to adding them, such as potential problems from working with older pipes (50 years old)? Is there an opinion it might be best to leave well enough alone.

I appreciate feedback/expertise.
    Thanks,
    MaryAnn
This discussion has been closed.