Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

little story about getting wet on Friday afternoon

Options
singh
singh Member Posts: 866
hates more than getting wet. But we've all been there.
Funny about that first reaction, to TRY and hold back the water. And you can't decide to make a dash for the main or getting sprayed and flooding the place.

Next time bring that ProPress tool. I've crimped a few new valves when I can't all the water out.

Well, relax now and enjoy the holiday weekend!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=377&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Friday before Memorial Day weekend no Less !!

We do service work for an apartment complex that is low income and elderly. The maintenance guys are notorious for touching stuff they shouldn’t WHEN they shouldn’t.

Like..... Friday afternoon before a LONG weekend.

So we get the call at 2:30, they broke a shower valve on the third floor of the elderly building. Now four of my guys have already left for the long weekend to get a jump on traffic. After the required belittling I tell the guy I will be right up. I grab Lou the apprentice extraordinaire and of we go.

I open up the wall with a Rotozip (nice dust producer) and cut out the offending valve. Now, the hot water is dripping a little, so I tell the glorified janitor to open up the valves in the Apt. below, you know to let it drain. Suddenly there is full flow of water coming out of the hot AND cold. You got it folks; he turned on both ball valves and Walked Away. I had my fingers on the copper for about a minute when the pressure started getting by and I tried to adjust my grip and the hot water slips by and its so FRIIIGGGIIN Hot that I just let her go ..

I started running for the main and ran past two elderly women having a chat in the lobby who ask “IS everything all right?” I am completely drenched at this point and I guess seeing a 50 year old heavy set (not fat) balding Plumber doing the dash in the lobby was a little unsettling.

Lou, apprentice extrodinair had already got the guy and got the valve shut-off. I was still at the boiler room shutting off the 6" OS+Y valve.

It was FUN :)

Well there goes the easy slide into the long weekend.

Hope you all had better days and enjoy this time with your families. Remember all those that make all this possible and made the extreme sacrifice.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2 Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Balding?!?

Man, yer gettin slow! When I was an apprentice, the mechanics expected us to cut, fit & solder piping after they'd turned on the water & we'd stay ahead of the flow(G).

Your post sure does bring back some funny memories!
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    YA Been there, done that

got the wet tee shirt to prove it huh ?

Never fails Dave :)

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    At least

At least it was clean water. One thing that makes me glad I am not a plumber is the not so clean water you guys can get hit with.

Leo
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Not a bad time of year to be wet :)

It's the frozen pipe thawing showers that I remember best.

There are two types of plumbers... those that have been drenched and those that are going to be.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    They probably broke the valve

On Wednesday. Waited till Friday to call you.

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    NOW...There's an image....

Milne in a wet T-shirt........BRRRWA.

Sorry Boss, Maybe the lady did make me think "wise-****" while being stressed!

Life's short...You gotta laugh! New non-smoker...JCA.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Gordo....

This place is FAMOUS for doing crap like this, usually on Friday afternoon...but kicking into a REAL Holiday weekend was the breaking point.

I'm going to say this out loud....but please think about THIS FIRST.(hearty gut laugh to follow!)

Scott had asked me to give him a hand for a "little side project"of his...and Leah, got the call at 2:00.

Bossman, being the standup guy that he is...called back as soon as he had a phone #...

I've seen this fine man deal with the most of incompetent folks....with kid gloves...and make them feel like they made a minor mistake, and promise that someone would be there as soon as HUMANLY possible, to remedy their situation.

The HUMAN side prevailed...when he FINALLY got hold of the caller...from said complex..(same statements and questions I would have asked...followed by the "unavoidable"belittling of the incompetent boobs!, and questions)..let loose with what I think was the longest string of insults and profanity I've ever heard....and the words would make a sailor blush!

My bossman, He's quite a guy....I think I'll keep him! LOL and enjoy!

Love ya big guy. Chris
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I hear ya, Brother

And they will say it was all your fault behind your back and complain about the bill, too....

This discussion has been closed.