Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Convert old apartments to electric baseboard heat

Options
Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
it is the equivalent of having a fork lift that the carb is bad or needs a tune up buh you see some guy selling handy man jacks and think ' HEY! They are a LOT CHEAPER, and i don't have to fix them,...i will just give the forklift away.......'

it would not be very long before you will have thrown the handy man jacks and wished you had kept the forklift....

"spend a dime save a dollar"

Comments

• Chris Bowers
    Chris Bowers Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Convert old apartments (steam to electric baseboard)

I am considering buying an old open air (doors are on the outside like a motel) apartment building. It is currently heated using steam boilers. They are VERY inefficient. The natural gas bill is enormous during the winter so I would like to convert the apartments to electric baseboard heat because the tenants pay for the electric. What will it take to do this?

There are 16 efficiencies (studio), 8 1-bedroom and 4 two bedroom apartments.
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    Options
    electric conversion

Probably a major electrical upgrade to each unit. The baseboard heaters are fairly lo-cost, but the service upgrades could be real ugly. Maybe a good steam guy (from this site) could give you a better option.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If you do that conversion

you probably won't be able to rent those units, with electric rates as high as they are. People will see that and probably not even thank you for your time showing them the units.

We recently fixed a system which your system sounds similar to. They love the way it works and the reduced gas usage. Go here for more:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=29563&mc=59

Having all the heat generating equipment in one location is also inherently safer. The boiler room can be made fire-resistant, easily opened for servicing, and locked against unauthorized access.

Also, if you tell us where you're located, we probably know someone who can help you fix that system. If you're in the Baltimore area, contact us!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.