Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Radiator and boiler

Options
Jerry_15
Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379
Probably 4x4 yellow pine for those decks and maybe the planking too. Great stuff, not so easy to come by now. It's all in the caulking that set's up the strength of the hull and the deck. If you're bunking below, be sure to have a few thumb-tacks and a bit of twine to take it to the bilge, instead of dripping on your head. Wet spots are over-rated (if they were ever rated at all). I was a shipwright in my last life, but ran aground. Good Luck

Comments

• Maine Doug_63
    Maine Doug_63 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Muscles are stiff....

Here is the radiator in the pilot house of the Steam Tug Baltimore. And also a shot the Scotch Marine boiler that I was under grinding off rust. At the end of the day one is filthy dirty. Boiled water in the kettle on the coal stove in the galley.

I need some heavy copper or brass sheet to restore the sills of the doors if anyone has some cluttering the corners. And 3000 board feet of 4x4 to replace decking and a few thousand feet of pine tongue and groove board.

Steamhead, the smoke box needs lots of metal fabrication. The two furnace doors have been done. Coal fired, hand shoveled. I get tired thinking about moving that much coal by hand.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Wow

looks like that radiator is made of brass pipe!

BTW- is there a gentleman named Steve Heaver involved with this tugboat?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've seen it

Iv seen it on another tugboat at Two Harbuers , Minnesota and met a public work boss that have a key into the boat.. Really cool set and pipes just like the pictures... Do you have any outside picture of the tuggie?
  • Maine Doug_64
    Maine Doug_64 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes, he is

Chief Engineer and Project Director.
    And the web site is

http://www.steamtug.org

My Balmor place is walking distance to the Inner Harbor.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Small world!

Steve is a friend of one of my good friends, Ed Grove, and as you may know is also involved with the Fire Museum. He has a LOT of steam power-related stuff at his house.... first time I went there I brought my Differential Loop with me ;-)

Ask him about his experience on the Mississippi riverboat.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe Billow_5
    Joe Billow_5 Member Posts: 2
    Options

> Here is the radiator in the pilot house of the

> Steam Tug Baltimore. And also a shot the Scotch

> Marine boiler that I was under grinding off rust.

> At the end of the day one is filthy dirty. Boiled

> water in the kettle on the coal stove in the

> galley.

>

> I need some heavy copper or brass

> sheet to restore the sills of the doors if anyone

> has some cluttering the corners. And 3000 board

> feet of 4x4 to replace decking and a few thousand

> feet of pine tongue and groove board.

> Steamhead, the smoke box needs lots of metal

> fabrication. The two furnace doors have been

> done. Coal fired, hand shoveled. I get tired

> thinking about moving that much coal by hand.

• Joe Billow_5
    Joe Billow_5 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Are you going to fire this old beauty. I would love to see it. I have worked on and fired some old traction engines and other stationary ones, but not a boat.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

That boiler sure looks similar to what I saw on "Dirty Jobs" when not only the host but the cameraman managed to worm themselves into the boiler.

FABULOUS brass coil radiator but presuming it's steam and presuming the close quarters I see from the photo I can't imagine it too high on the comfort scale.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Great Photos

Doug, thanks for posting. I love old stuff ..

Scott

• Maine Doug_64
    Options
    Sadly, the tug

is not running at the moment. Boiler is OK, has been retubed and derated from 150psi by the CG. Engine is also fine thanks to the many hours of the volunteers. The hull is the problem and fund raising is an ongoing project. Probably about 2 million to do all the necessary work. The Mechanical Museum is not very helpful and I don't think sees the importance of preserving this steam tug.
    It may be better to give the tug to the non-profit group that has been working on it for many years so they can do specific fund raising since the current mamagement of the museum appears to have lost interest.
    A shame indeed. By comparison, the Coast Guard is scrapping the 8 ships that are here in Baltimore after being taken out of service after 100 million dollars was spent lengthening them. Seems the good hulls are now no good and have buckles.
  • Maine Doug_64
    Options
    I will try to photograph

the DC generator and water pumps steam engines. You can imagine the sounds in the engine room when the main engine and auxiluary engines are running, coal is being shoveled, the engine room bells are ringing for Full Ahead. The smells of hot lubricating oil and coal burning.
    Oh the joys!!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    is anyway that tugboat is related to

Edna G tugboat in Two Harbors Minnesota? I've been in it and its out of commission but the public works do fired up the boiler every once awhile in winter to thaw out their cold bodies in winter...
This discussion has been closed.