Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbo leak

Options
Al Letellier_9
Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
If the same joint is leaking after replacing the rings a couple of time, I would replace the fitting as well. It doesn't take much to cause a leak if the sealing surfaces are scratched or dinged in any way. Try using a heat gun to heat the fitting and ring. This will help them try to get back to that "original size and shape" and just might stop the leak.

Comments

• PeterGriffin
    PeterGriffin Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Wirsbo water lines leaking

I was finishing up a job someone else had started for a friend of mine, 3 peice bathroom, waterlines were all connected and I'm sure the rings are on the lines properly, but I'm having troubles getting 2 lines to stop to leaking. I cut and replaced the rings twice, now I'm getting short on pipe. The lines are cold lines, the 2 hot and 1 other cold line appear to be holding just fine, although with the leak, I haven't left the water on for any considerable amount of time. Could it be a bad supply of rings, that are not shrinking down enough?? I'm going back tonight, to see if maybe the rings shrunk some more, but I'm also bringing other rings to try my luck again.

Thanks
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    Pro pex rings?

Try hitting the connection with a little heat From a heat gun. Worked once or twice for me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    er i dont belive this to be manufacturers best practise...

that would be remove and replace properly...

however,...were you to drain it down...grab the "O" with a pair of grips ...

spin the "O" a 1/4 turn then apply heated air to the pipe ahead of the fitting.......leave it be for a few mins...that might take it up..

i read the part about CUTTING and removing the "O's" twice.... aint a betting man buh i think that indicates the fitting now has a small Gash in it... lose the fitting and the rings..
  • PeterGriffin
    Options

Great advice so far. I will have to try these ideas.

I was very careful in removing the rings. The first leak was on a coupling, then I removed the coupling and connected the lines straight to the manifold. The manifold just had a few lines that were just capped, and I thought I may have better luck going straight to the manifold. When I was cutting, I used a utility knife to put a cut at the end of the pipe, then I ran a slit up the side of the pipe and worked it off of the fittings.

and yes, I guess these are "pro-pex" fittings, I remember seeing propex on the pipe, I've just always heard it being referred to as Wirsbo.

Thanks again
  • PeterGriffin
    Options
    Proper way to remove rings

Is there a better way to remove these rings rather than using a knife?

Thanks again
  • John Ruhnke
    John Ruhnke Member Posts: 882
    Options

I had one leak that I took apart and noticed the inside of the pipe had a crease in it. I had to cut out about six inches to get to where the pipe was smooth on the inside. I haven't seen it since.

Terry
    I am the walking Deadman
    Hydronics Designer
    Hydronics is the most comfortable and energy efficient HVAC system.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    there is ...Martha! Get the scissors out! We gotta Leak!

take the pex cutter an lose the fitting ..if you left some slack in the tubing then it is easy to just replace the fitting and "O's"

if you not so lucky...cut them out make up the fitting..*(Go Long) and couple the pipe back into place...

sans this method..you may have to anchor a T and make up a smallClose coupling of pipe...trick to that is fit the coupling, then the fitting... then make a short piece of pipe up with a ring or "O" on both ends and with a quickness jamm it onto the fitting and the coupling...you will want to cut the pipe longer than you think by about 3/8ths or so because when the pipe expands on its circumference the length shrinks :) its weird what can i tell you :)
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    are you rotating...

the head of the tool as you use it...each expansion press?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • PeterGriffin
    Options
    I see I see

The only thing that I forgot to mention, is that the fitting was on the manifold, where cutting it out is not really an option. But I will know for next time to cut out the whole fitting instead of trying to reuse it next time.

As for the job...I applied heat to the rings and it seems to have stopped leaking. I was also not rotating the head, and now I understand the importance of that.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Rankin
  • Joe_91
    Joe_91 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Removing the ring

I found, in my own little world, that the least little nick on the brass barb will entail a leak. The nick usually comes from a stanley knife.

Best was to remove shrunk on pex ring is to take a soldering gun and melt a slit in said ring. Viola, it pops right apart. No nicks in the brass barb.
This discussion has been closed.