Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Everyone Will Remember This!

Options
Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
and it is too bad that Ben died so young.

More memories than I care to remember with one of their tunes playing in the back-ground.

The Cars.

Just what I needed.

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    A great group

for their time,,too bad Ben Orr died before his time was finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm5VODW1c74

Dave
  • Unknown
    Options
    I would think

even if a person was to that

Dave
  • Unknown
    Options
    I Think

That if theses things are taken into consideration then everyone could have a new way

Dave
  • Unknown
    Options

> for their time,,too bad Ben Orr died before his

> time was

> finished!_BR_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsTPs

> UwI0E_BR__BR_Dave

Dave
  • Unknown
    Options

How is itpossbible that people seem to know that everyone

Dave
  • Unknown
    Options

If I were youTry This

Dave
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just changed,

the link as I had not realized(until today), the other I posted was pulled, A BIG THANKS to everyone who told me!(no-one,,, what a Brotherhood).
    Enjoy!!

Dave
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    The one I miss...

is Carol Carpenter. Lead Drummer - and singer extraordinare.

There are of course many others who passed on before they had finished a long career; and I miss them too.

But due to a variety of personal factors - Carol is the one that passed on far too soon that I miss the most.

Also, If you get a chance this summer - get to a Peter Paul and Mary Concert. Mary has recovered enough from leukemea to sing again.... But for how much longer? My guess will be that this year - perhaps next year - will be the last chance to see these legends together. I admit that I do not always agree with some of their music - but they stand out as one of the greats in my mind and they always have a good selection of the oldies and goodies of theirs.

Perry
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    WHAT?!?!?

• Unknown
    Options
    Alex the Wonder Cat

You read my mind!! I was just gonna say that!, PP&M did some great stuff but "Elvis has left the building"(and perhaps this planet, depending on who you ask), I`m sorry that there are health probs in her life, but how can you even think (Perry)of comparing that music to the Cars?

Dave
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    must be all that radiation

Perry mean's Karen Carpenter right ??

Maybe it was all those clove cigeretes.

Beautifull voice, nice plumage.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Perry_3
    Options
    You are correct: Karen Carpenter

Sorry, I was rather tired last night and got the name wrong.

But - she's the one.

Perry
  • Perry_3
    Options
    Peter Paul & Mary - for Alex, Dave, and any others.

First, I will admit that the PPM music is different than The Cars. That does not change how great some of it was and is. Did everything The Cars sing succeed well? PPM has had their share of flops too.

Anyway; You know little about me if you think that there is really an impossible gap between Perry the Engineer and PPM.

Engineers and scientist are great at solving technical problems. Ask us to build a bridge... and we will build a bridge better than any non technical person.

Boats, bicycles, trains, plans, factories, guns, elevators, bombs, power plants, and many other things are technical solutions to a situation that mankind (or at least part of mankind) wanted to be solved.

However, engineers do not solve social issues. Technical solutions do not work there.

PPM through their history has extoled the values of compasion, personal rights, right vs wrong - and at times just some fun nonsense songs (my favorite PPM: The wonderful little toy...).

Do I agree with every PPM song. No, never have. But because they have been so open and honest I will listen to each of them at least once. Many times they make me think. Sometimes they make me shudder. Some of them make me smile and giggle. Most of my favorite songs are the oldies but goodies that everyone knows.

Many people never understood their music - or why they sing it. "Puff the magic dragon.." is not and was never meant to be a drug song. The fact that some people adopted it as one does not change what it was intended to be (and I will let anyone really curious find the answer to what message is really in the song).

Is it wrong to dream of world peacefullness, of real justice. Where people respect other people's differences without treating them as inferiors?

I believe that the vast majority of people in this world are in fact decent moral people - regarless of culture. Who am I to say that my specific view on an issue is supperior to theirs. Can we not just agree that we can differ on some things and still be freinds (or at least freindly).

So yes; PPM stirs an important part of me... the search for social acceptance, social justice, and a society that works.

If we can do that.... then perhaps we can better focus some of my and my brethern's technical skills into building better technical solutions for the world - better than what we would build by diverting what I believe to be about 25% of the technical resources of the world into military expenditures.

That does not mean that I do not believe in a good and solid military, and a strong defense. Just that if the peoples of the world accepted each other better and worked together --- then maybe we would only need 1/4 to 1/3 of the current military spending.

I have often been amazed at what people claim to represent - but then watch them do something else.

Very interestingly I live about an hour drive from where the Republican Party was founded. Studying the history of what the beliefs of those early republicans were.... methinks that PPM might have found a welcome and accepting audience back then amoung those people. Trust me - the current "Republican" party beliefs have little, if anything, to do with the original Republicans.

I am also amazed at how often religious groups claim how religious they are - but then demonstrate zero tolerence or no compasion on many issues (Note that this is my personal observation and I am not going to get into a discussion about religion here).

I realize that there is a lot bigger world out there than just building a better machine. I realize that people need to learn to live and work together. I realize that in order for me to learn and to be more effective I must at least listen and consider what others have to say. I realize that many people hide behind a mask on who they are and what they believe. I would much rather deal with people who are straight up and honest than with people who are not.

PPM, love them or hate them.... They are honest about who and what they are - and I personally believe are a very important message carrier to the people of this nation. Some of their best oldies still ring true today. Some of their current stuff... I have my doubts. But, that does not change their overall value as a group in my mind.

As for the rest.... and where I fit into things: About a decade ago The Miwaukee Journal ran a Sunday section article about finding the remaining "hippie" group in the Kickapoo Valley that started in the mid 70's and still exist to this day.

It was a really great article as the reported bounced from site to site, town to town, business to business, talking to people who knew the people in this group, knew what they did for a living, thought they were some of the greatest people, were great seasonal workers, etc... (the sherrif even told the reporter that they were some of the most law abiding people he knew). Yet the reporter never found one of them to talk to.

I read the article and smiled. I had the names and phone numbers of half of them at the time - and was welcome there if I chose to visit (and am still welcome I am sure).

No, I did not run off and join the commune in the 70's (I went in the Navy instead to get money for college and because I believed I owed this country some service).

Also, this is not (and never was) a drug centered group of hippies. They just wanted to live life differently and while the commune has long gone as they built families and individual houses... They still live a different lifestyle to different sets of values than many. A really great group of people, and an important part of the communities in the area. Did the reporter really think that any of the local townspeople would really tell her the names of any of them and how to contact them just for a story.... Yet, if you go into that area of Wisconsin with the right attitude - or the right need - you will likely quickly find yourself introduced to one of them; although you will not be told that they are from the hippie group. The local townspeople also knows which people are really good at helping others and marshalling resources. However, in general these people wish to be left in peace to live and practice life to their values - and the locals really respect that because of how much they contribute to the community and the example they set in just being decent human beings who's core religious beliefs are evident in how they live (I've personally heard townspeople talk about how good of an example and religious these people really are - and yet the townspeople cannot name what religion most of this hippie group belongs to, or where they go to church).

How I met them in the late 80's and became a common visitor... and considered moving into the area to become part of their group... at the time; is a story for another day.

Perry
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

If momma Cass would have given Karen Carpenter her sandwich, they would both be alive today.

I love the Cars, and it is too bad Rick refused the reunion tour. I heard Elliot, David and Greg will tour anyway.

Anyone else have their tickets to Jethro Tull?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.