Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My first steamer and indirect ( Ron Jr. )

Options
We try to pitch the boiler main down to the return just slightly . This one was pitched quite a bit , so we had to use the 45s to make the risers look decent . And also to move the header over a little for the flue pipe .

Thank you Tim , I appreciate the compliment .

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I mean the combo of both

This was a tough one . We had to walk around the house to the back , up a few slate steps , through a small hallway , maneuver past a microwave hanging off the wall right in front of the staircase , down that steep and tight staircase , then a quick double turn into the boiler room . Oh well ..... such is life on Long Island .

This was an American Standard steam boiler and they were actually using an electric water heater in an area that has the 2nd highest rates in the nation ( I believe ? ) .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Peerless ECT3 steam and Contender indirect .

Oh , we were soooooo tempted to reconnect right to that 3 inch tee on the header . But that woulda brought the new boiler out farther than the old one . And I never want to do that . We twinned the boiler risers in and dropped them into a 2 1/2 inch boiler main . This was installed by Kenny , Dave and myself . We wound up leaving the old clunker to the side - we were too exhausted to tempt it .

Seemed like the heatup time for the indirect was faster than when connected to a hot water boiler . Next time I'll have to clock it and compare .
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    Sweet!

Ron nice work. I'm wondering if it would have been worth up-selling to a bronze circ - I'm ignorant for steam but wonder if an iron circ's ideal here.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Seet Job, Ron

Really nice to repipe the header like that.

Too bad you guys can't get steam fittings out there.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    nice header

I love the way those 45's go off the header and then straight up to the swing joints. That really cleaned it up nicely. Those lines are perfect!
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    I would second...

that concern...the other question I have is that on the Contenders they have the tag on there staing that radiant tubing must have a barrier on it. Steam is an open system as we all know....I would be curious as to what HTP would say about the application....Either way it is a beautiful looking job....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Contender can be used with steam

Of course we made sure of that before the install .

http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-65.pdf

Page 4

They do recommend a strainer but we don't use them . We did put purges on the supply and return to flush out the crap periodically .

We find that the Taco circ holds up well on steam - if the system is cleaned initially . When we go back to take the boiler out I'm going to give it a thorough flush .

Thanks Kevin .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Uni R

Whatever type of circ you choose on steam , more often than not it's the impeller that goes bad before anything else . To my understanding the impeller is the same material in the iron and bronze . We replace steamers from time to time with zones of heat off the bottom and see some pretty old 007s still pumping .

Thanks Uni R .
  • Unknown
    Options
    I prefer malleable

Easier for the pipe wrench to grab . And no chance of cracking the fitting if you overtighten . And there's nothing worse looking than seeing a mix of cast and malleable on the same header . Thanks alot Al .
  • Unknown
    Options
    the header

I was told not to use st fittings on steam system due to the restriction on them... Otherwise its a good looking job!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Not sure

what you mean ? Street fittings ? Been using street ells and street 45s for 20 years without any problems . They ain't much more restrictive than a close nip .
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    first time

Another really nice job Ron, I must say this is the first time I've seen an indirect piped off a steamer. What did you set the low limit at? We here were trying to guess what the summer oil use would be. It was, I think, also the first time I saw the old "before" picture and thought the dead men work was good and you really could just tie into the old header since the new boiler would not be near as tall. I also liked how you used the coil center plug for the gauge tappings to keep all the control wiring on one side. Thanks also for the 3 separate pictures, makes a good training aide.
This discussion has been closed.