Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler help here

or was it doing what it was supposed to. Releiveing excess pressure.

You could have a failed heat exchanger in the IDW thats allowing street water pressure to bleed into the 30 PSI side of things...

Or a defective PRV....(pressure reducing valve)

Or a defective pressure relief valve...

Or a defective expansion tank...

Turn off the cold water to the IDHW and see if the pressure on the boiler drops.

Some times, the obvious is not so obvious.

ME

Comments

• #1 plumba
    #1 plumba Member Posts: 9
    new to the trade

Im fairly new to the trade and got into a nice small company right outta school. the boss is on vacation for a few days and ive been thinking about a call i got saturday night at 10 pm...can someone help me out
    its a boiler with indirect H.W, couple zones. i got the call cause the customer came back from florida to a flooded basement. The pressure reliefe was bad, the expansion tank was bad, and the fill valve was spitting out the top. I replaced them noticing quite a bit of sediment but dont think of it being anything right now...the system is getting to pressure, as well as heating properly, but then when it gets to the temp, the relief valve goes off. The expansion tank is correctly sized as well as everything else..When i first ran it to make sure it worked on the way out it worked fine. what else can i do to check or fix my problem?
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    spitting fill valve?

Might want to check into that. It might be stuck open.

Cosmo
  • marc
    marc Member Posts: 203
    indirect hot water maker

Might be a leak in the indirect coil, we have had a few that leak every so often. Marc
  • Dead battery in wireless mouse...

causes inadvertent double click...

ME
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Hee hee

Cosmo
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    consider the water pressure available on the fast fill and....

purge all the zones especially the zone to the indirect.

*~/;)
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

From what I am reading, you replaced the relief valve, feed valve and expansion tank (extrol)and the relief valve opens up when the temperature in the boiler goes up. Is the temp going to high limit setting? Heres what I'd do:

1. Make sure theraltimeter pressure gauge is accurate, attach reliable pressure gauge on adapter to boiler drain to check pressure.
    2. Check pressure in expansion tank to make sure it is correct, needs to be done with no pressure on system and then set to fill setting.
    3. Set pressure in system by running up to high limit first and then setting fill pressure.
    4. Turn off valve to pressure regulator run and observe.
    5. If pressure rises quickly, I'd suspect problem with extrol, may be undersized etc.
    6. Possible leak in indirect coil which should bring pressure up slowly, isolate indirect.
    7. Crazy possibility is expansion tank located on wrong side of flocheck if used.

Not sure how long you have had the customer, anything changed recently etc., sediment would lead me to suspect a leak someplace (under floor or old pex) causing fresh water to enter and giving you oxygen corrosion. Other possibility with feeder could be very high incoming water pressure pushing by. Hope this helps, we've all been in your shoes, never hesitate to ask a question or for help.
  • #1 plumba
    #1 plumba Member Posts: 9

thanks for all the quick responses! this site is great
This discussion has been closed.