Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Keyspan taking your installs

Options
KAG
KAG Member Posts: 82
Ask the contractor to see Keyspans heat lose Data. You will probaly find a boiler 3-4 times to big. They are not in business to install, but to supply. Think of it this way, cell phones you use to buy for 1 penny. Then you got youR first bill $300.00, not the phone the use. Tell your builder Keyspan V.P. boat name is FREE-BOILER. Then show your heat lose AND equipment size. An educated consumer is your best chances at win the bid process.

Comments

• Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Has Keyspan been taking your installs

I have been beat out four times on existing accounts by Keyspan low balling.

And the quality of some of the installs shows it.

I can understand them going for conversions from Oil to Gas but do not know why they are beating down the private contractors.

On top of it when we need them to take care of what they are suppose to be working on like there side of the meeter it takes for ever to get them out.

What ever happened to legislation against utility sponsored competition.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Mitch, they want it all

and legislation like that would be going against "deregulation" so they do everything they can to stop it. Most utilities are now unregulated monopolies, and they buy politicians to make sure they can stay that way.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jeb
    jeb Member Posts: 46
    Options

Many utilities also let the customers pay for the new install over time on their utility bill.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,008
    Options
    That's why we don't do many oil-to-gas conversions..............

Why would you want to focus your business in areas where you can't win (compete)? I see it as the same as new construction (not including, hi-end, custom), and trying to compete with oil companies on swap outs. In ALL situations, these entities are GIVING IT AWAY...many times at below cost. It would behoove you, to gradually leave that rat race and try to specialize more. Been in your situation before. You might try your Local PHCC chapter. OUt NYS chapter forced The gas utilities out of service and opened it up quite a bit. BTW, we pick up alot of their contract customers in the winter when they tell people with no-heat......"3-5 days we'll be there." Mad Dog

• Mitch_6
    Options
    Mad Dog

two of the jobs were people I went out to during emergencies one of which I located hard to find parts to get them through the winter. All of the jobs were gas to gas.

Service over the dollar they will go for the dollar every time.

Mitch S.

• Brad White_83
    Brad White_83 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Let's see the level of service

from the utility when their heat goes down during a blizzard, Mitch...

Sin in Haste, Repent at leisure...
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,008
    Options
    I know Mitch ...very frustrating

Most people have very little loyalty. I can tell you all kinds of stories where I've done free!!!!! work, volunteer work, let people owe me money, big discounts, came to the rescue on Communions, Bar Mitzvahs and Christmas Eve. Keep good records.....they'll be back someday, and you will have no mercy.....its not personal...ITS JUST BUSINESS, RIGHT? (Said with a sheepish Grin) Mad Dog

• joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    mitch

Do not go back when it is cold and it breaks tell them to call Keyspan.

• joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    mitch

Do not go back when it is cold and it breaks tell them to call Keyspan.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    We have the

same experience here. I just went to a call yesterday for a new boiler and she allready has prices from the Gas CO. for the boiler. I know, I know Mark up the job.. still it a'int right. No boiler is better to the customer than one that is going to cost them $600.

I went out on a no heat two years ago to a guy who renovated his house with a part timer. I said where's the guy who did your plumbing, can't get him and I want some one local ( read: I'm in a jam and will take whom ever I can get ). I know the guy and its a small town so I egt out of bed. Its a new W.M. sealed unit. I said " who out this in ? ". You go it the Gas Co. and they told him THREE DAYS !!! It was zero degrees out !! The guys intake and outake vents went under a porch and the fresh air vent was frozen from taking in warm flue gas. I cut it off near the house and it fired right up. You knw what he says to me .... " I guess I would have figured that out eventually.

Some peoples Kids ... get HUGE bills.

Scott

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Dealing with people like that, Scott

Makes you wonder, "Today, am I a proud plumbing and heating contractor? Or a proctologist?"

The gratitude gene is often absent.
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Funny

I know Keyspan reps post on this web site, no reply on their part to my comment.

• Bart_5
    Bart_5 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Joel

When Keyspan beat out my price by 20% on an oil conversion, I explained to the builder he most likely was not going to get the same quality of job I was going to deliver. He smugly told me that their work came with a guarantee and hired Keyspan. That winter when the system was air bound and most of the radiator vents were broken. He called me whinning, because he had a buyer for the house and they were going to close that week. I told him to call Keyspan. Hello.. for billing press 1, for meter read press 2, to report a gas leak press 3, if you know your parties extension press 4, or just wait on the line all day!!!! HA HA HA... revenge is sweet.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,535
    Options
    Perhaps

you should get listed in Find a Professional. Get better customers. Can't beat our price. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Thanks Dan

I am proudly listed in Find a Pro. BTW I am on a project now that I have been taking better pictures of and will be changing my photos on the listing.

On that project, Keyspan missed two appointments (6 hour windows) to set the meter. Then showed up before the appointed time, attached the meter told the G.C. to tell the plumber to turn it on himself. I did and they had a leak before the meter. Called them back to fix it. Fired my boiler started my combustion test and found the pressure regulator set too low. Called them back and three attempts to get them out they finally met met and set the pressure up right.

Please understand my frustration I do alot of high end jobs but also do basic service and installers in between.

Keyspan on one hand telling me they are too short handed to get people out to do the work "Only the utility can do" on one hand yet low balling out jobs to my existing clientele on the other.

Remember they sell gas either way, I only make money on installs and service.

I have seen alot of there installs and they are very lacking, "no" liners in chimneys, poor near boiler piping, not calling for inspections on installation. They seem to be getting away with alot. I have even had inspectors complain to me about their behavior when the topic comes up.

Thanks

Mitch S. ;)

• Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Keyspan's Area

I used to work for an oil/propane company that was in an area serviced by Keyspan. A lot of plumbers jumped on the approved Keyspan Installers list to do oil to gas conversions but they didn't do service. We would get calls from FORMER OIL customers wanting the service they couldn't get from the gas company and it's "approved" list. It was hard to compete with "the free" equipment to switch deal. I guess the utility is ok until they stop throwing work at the private sector. Now I work in a more rural area no gas utility to complain at or laugh at.

Leo
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Leo

I to was once on the installer list in the time of Boston and Commonwealth gas. I take take advantage of the discounted boilers for oil conversion and forward all energy star discount information to my H.O..

I understand the list of referrals who I am bidding against and usually turn down opportunities to bid.

Typically one of my H.O. sees my name on that list and that gives the H.O.more incentive to go with me. They typically do not realize what would have happened if they just went with the lowest bid.

What gets me is Keyspan has its foot in the door selling the gas. When the cold weather hits hard we wined up having people with Kespan service contracts call us due to the long wait.

But we do not get that business during warmer weather when we "all" have more time not only on our hands but in the warm weather strictly heating systems can be down longer with no property damage.

But seeing what they buy the boilers for and the artificial competitive edge as a utility they have it is unfair for them to be in our market any more than the electric company should be installing Lights, or the Local Water department installing faucets.

Mitch S.

• Mitch_6
    Options
    Follow up

of two of the thefts. I always send in a sweep before hand and arrange for what ever is needed before we start. On one of my jobs they started then said you need a plumber to pull the water heater since the floor is bad (I already new that) the homeowner replaced the floor then say the wet returns are bad ( I already new that). Then we went to install the water heater and they said the Liner was going to be installed the next day so we should just wait and they would attach the flue then. I get a call today we cant get a liner in (I get my sweep in to check ahead) and when we are done the plumber will have to come back to install the flue from the water heater to the Y.

Other job we call for "OUR" inspection on a water heater and inform the inspector Keyspan would have to call for there own arrangements, the inspector comes back with what permit they never pulled a permit and on the jobs they do they almost never close them out.

"Got to love the fair competition"

Mitch S.

This discussion has been closed.