Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Underslab Insulation Thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Best of luck my friend

Getting a consensus from all the different manufacturers is going to be the hardest part. What's applicable to EPS is not applicable to XPS, is not applicable to BFB, and so on and so forth.

What's going to have to happen is someone not associated with the industry is going to have to come up with a single testing standard, which given the limited applications, shouldn't be a big deal. Except that it costs MONEY.

I spent over $2,000.00 of my own money doing the study that I did.

Maybe it's time to write a grant request to ASHRAE...

Nice to see your words my friend.

ME
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    As a kid

I could have used some of this underSLAP insulation.

Sorry, as this thread hung on-------

Jack
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Good one Jack :)

Are you saying it would've protected you from being overslapped ?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I'm taking

the Fifth, Tony. Mom, even at 82 years young, could be monitoring this site.

• Unknown
    Options
    apply today

Mark,

If I were you... I'd be king! No really, if I were you I would apply for that grant today! You bring great things to the table, they should pay for dinner!

I know the process we had to go through to get standards on plastic oil tanks. The same NEW standards had to be applied to the steel and fiberglass tank manufactures too. (no opposition, eh?) It was a long and costly process! In the end, new NFPAstandards, new UL testing proceedures, more level playing ground.... and I still have all my hair. Go figure.

wheels
  • PW_2
    PW_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options

How high up the sides of the slab do you insulate, lets say 6" thick slab with a foundation wall 6" thick. I dont think I want to see the 2" poly all the way around the building. Then what about the heat loss were there is no insulation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chamfer..

The edge of the insulation at a 45 degree angle, and if your pour is correct, you won't see anything and 95% of your side conductive losses are gone.

Siegenthaler has a good graphic of this somewhere.

ME
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cheez Whiz!!

I had to run in what was readily available at the time. Never hoid of those two you mentioned.

Most all of the articles I've written are available on line at http://www.contractormag.com/articles/columnist.cfm?columnistid=6

Good to see you mine friend.

ME
  • PW_2
    PW_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options

My concrete man said that if I had a 1.5" top over the 2" poly, the concrete would start "flaking". So I ended up with 3" of 2"poly And 3" of .5" expansion joint for my edges. I wonder what the R value of expansion joint is.
  • Paul_59
    Paul_59 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Building radiant house

I am in the prosess of building a radiant house in C.T. Was going to use the barrier as insulation in basement and garage slab. Willing tobe guinie pig for testing differaint applications in parts of slab. Hope to be installing system in about three weeks. System was designed by my supplie house and will be all wirsbo oops I mean uponor.
  • John V
    John V Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Heat is transmitted three ways,

Conduction,radiant & convection. In this case I would think that the convection by air currents inside a given bubble would be minimal and the bubbles main function would be to break the conduction,I think we can agree that air is a poor condutor. While the foil face reflects the radiant waves toward the living space.
  • Unknown
    Options

You can only reflect radiant transfer when radiant transfer is present, and it's only present when you have a real airspace to work with.

Under a slab, there is basically no radiant transfer to reflect, and foam is much better at resisting conduction than the bubble foil is.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    This study from Canada

are those steel skined panels that available that they were included in the study? Seems finding 5000- 6000 square feet of that material, all the same dimension, would be tricky.

The shipping would probably trade out for the cost difference between them and 1-1/2" foamboard?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.