Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vacuum pumping

Options
Christian Egli_2
Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
And I don't think your idea sucks, Greg. I easily agree that you save yourself lots of purging time. I do this with steam systems rapidly evacuating them of air on every cycle thanks to the trusty vacuum pump. Likewise, we bust the pesky moist air form refrigeration cycles thanks to the trusty vacuum. What's good enough for vapor cycles has got to be good enough for the simple one-phase-only water hydronics.

May I suggest you enter your idea in the PM magazine tool tip contest? Ridgid awards neat tool sets to the winner.

Thanks for sharing.

Comments

• Greg_40
    Greg_40 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    vacuum pumping

I haven't seen this here, but don't always read through every thread, so maybe I missed it. Since many or most of us are in the AC trade also, we have one extra tool of the day for hydronic installs- evacuation vacuum pump. Using the same Schraeder valve where I added air pressure for leak testing, I connect a refrigerant vacuum pump. Then, pump it down to a reasonable vacuum level, close off any necessary valves or remove the pump fitting and add water. Water fill time is shortened & air elimination is already done except for what little may come in with the water. If this tip helps, great. If I'm rehashing an old tip my apologies. We've saved a lot of time that used to be spent purging air and haven't had a air bound system so far. Any comments that this may be a mistake will be gladly listened to.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    One problem though....

On a new install,....fine, but on an existing with possible pockets of water or water vapor, This vacuum test would not prove positive that you do not have a leak. As you lower your VAC in "Hg, if ANY water is present the Vac will come up......... Use Nitrogen and an ultraSound detector. You will find any leaks without getting on your knee's...

My .02

Mike T.
  • Greg_40
    Greg_40 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Mike T...

I understand your thinking and agree - water vapor will show as a leak, just as it does in refrigeration pumping. But, the purpose of hooking my pump is not to leak test, that's done with air pressure. Instead the idea here is to purge as much air as possible fom the system, then introduce the water or whatever fluid you use into it. This should shorten time spent with filling the system with water & maybe help eliminate an air bound loop.

I take any criticism as helpful. Surely I'm not the first to do this, but I'll take credit (lol). If you adopt this technique, just call it "Gregging the system". Then when I'm a dead man, I can live on forever!! Better than a bird-pooped statue in some park - IMO.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Greg, Point well taken

I'll give it a shot,...Especially on those really long loops. Gregging the system?,....lol I love it. I'm always looking for new catch phrases..

Thanks.

Mike T.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'd be careful..

Since the hot water heating systems are designed to be under pressure.... I do like the idea but with those auto-vents, pump seals and pressure gages, therm o static valves, are they made to take vaccum? Can we safety say the damages done by "Greg" and leave his numbers?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Years ago

I pumped out a heating system with a Teel boiler pump and didn't open the drain valve to the old steel expansion tank. Suddenly, with a BANG!, the expansion tank imploded due to atmosperic pressure....just crushed it like a giant hand would flatten a soda can.

Pulling a vacuum to get the water in quicker sounds like a good idea, but isolate that expansion tank first!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.