Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PC crowd at it again

Options
heatboy
heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
...... was the popular phrase from my LL days. Little did we know all of those great underwear stitching jobs would be outsourced.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=304&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    hope this link works

Short vidio about little league. They don't want the kids saying " We want a pitcher , not a belly itcher "

Come ON !!

video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=D10D3CBE-5BD5-4E83-9DE4-31142D7858E7&t=s3&f=06/64&p=hotvideo_m_edpicks&fg=&GT1=9951

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Wimps

The whole PC thing is making this country a bunch of wimps. We are coming up on Memorial Day, if the WWII Generation had grown up like this we would be speaking German or Russian today. It just fires me up thinking of it.

Leo
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Sorry Leo,

Japanese, not Russian (officially at least ;). Unless you were George C. Patton, the Russians were on our side :)

Nasdrovye!

Brad
  • Leo
    Options
    Brad

Brad,

Eastern Europe got stuck under Russian rule, had we not been as strong as we were God only knows what Stalin would have done.

Some changes are good but the PC crowd is trying to make little boys and little girls different from their genetic make up.

Leo
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    When I was a kid

attempting to play baseball- never quite succeeded- we weren't allowed to "heckle" the other team. Back then, heckling was deemed "bad sportsmanship", and we didn't have major-league teams getting into fights on the field either.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    Options
    I don't know

how old you are Frank but I remember the Red Sox in a bench clearing fight and I got a few years on ya.

Scott

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Back then

it was a rare exception to their usual behavior, and if memory serves there were severe consequences. Now it seems there's an on-field fight every week. If I want to see a fight, I'll watch boxing or hockey.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,977
    Options
    Pernicious Consequences (P.C)

P.C....Big Brother...is here and takes more and more of YOUR rights. However , aggressive heckling and fan/parent involvement is OUT OF HAND. It is BOTH side's FAULT. I remember the FIRST REAL "HOT DOG" in the NFL, Billy WHITE SHOES JOHNSON. After watching his antics, My father said: "ITS ALL OVER!....he's VERY lucky Nitschke, Butkus, and Mike Curtis are retired......" I think fans that throw things at players and coaches DESERVE the beatings they occasionally get. This country is the greatest, but it is a living experiment AND is often laboratory experiment gone awry. Mad Dog

• ScottMP
    Options
    So its O.K.

for Hockeys players to fight ?

Its the Parents that ruin it for the kids. Too much control over the game. Not enough kids playing sports on thier own, out in the back yard or field across the street. Tin cans for bases and making up thier own rules. Solving issiues on thier own.

Now, every team has to have uniforms , Umpires, RULES, controls, be nice, and EVERYBODY wins. Everybody Dons't win in life. Some lose and thats life, that what made America Great. Not a group hug and lets not make anyone feel bad.

What every happen to hockey games at the pond up in the woods where the tree trunk was the goal. Now Mom nd Dad have to get up at 3:00 am am Dad gets so involves he starts a fight with the other Dad and winds up going to jail for agravated assualt ot worse.

We Over regulate our kids and thier softer for it.

Just my Un-PC thoughts.

Scott

• ScottMP
    Options
    Laboratory experiment gone awry

Nice Matt, I like it.

Read my post above. Too MUCH parental involvment.

Scott

• realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    Options
    Every so often

at work when the stress gets to us, we throw down our tools and beat the heck outta each other. Just the other day I kicked the guts outta the purchasing agent. She was tougher than I thought she would be, though.

Although I think it can be taken too far, I think kids sports are supposed to be, among other things, learning experiences.

What do you really want your kids to learn? I want my kids to learn sportsmanship, fairness, respect for the other person, the satisfaction of putting forth his best effort, along with the best effort of his teammates.

My kid outgrew a case of shyness that was painful to me on a losing football team over about 6 years. By the time he was a junior in high school everyone knew they were going to get clobbered, pretty much everywhere they went.

It was disgraceful the way some coaches allowed their teams to trash talk and even orchestrated intimidation, when everyone knew beforehand what was going to happen. They would run up the score ... I never saw such scores. Unbelievable.

I remember one coach who could have run up the score, did not, and came over to our team with complimentary words about their perserverance, character... etc. after the game. Now, there's a coach. That's the kind of respect for the game and other people that I want my kid and your kid to learn through sports.

His senior year, they won three games... let me tell you there have never been sweeter wins. But the sweetest win of all was the confidence my kid gained over those six years. All because of football. That's what high school sports are supposed to be about.

Let the trash talk stay in professional wrestling. There's enough crap in the real world.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    My experiences

I umpire baseball from Little League thru High School.

The most problems come from LL parents, especially the ones who coach their own kids. I've ejected 4 people from games, 2 of them from the park. Three were LL parents, 2 coaches and 1 fan. Every one of them made a complete a$% of themselves in front of dozens of people over a rules call that they misunderstood but wouldn't let go. The other one was a JV player who hit a tower shot to left that got caught a foot off the ground by a kid on a dead run (Mickey Rivers style). He threw his bat, bouncing into the dugout. His mother came to me after the game and asked why not just a warning. I told her it could've been her son in the dugout getting hit and would a warning be enough then ? She admitted the boy has a problem controlling himself, thanked me, and went home. Next game with that team the boy came to me before the game and apologized.
  • Joannie_12
    Joannie_12 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Pick Up Games

Our games were great. Go around the neighborhood yelling, "Who wants to play?!" and whoever wanted to play would come out. And there were no parents involved. And guess what? The big kids gave the little kids a break every now and then...without anyone telling them it would be nice. We just knew that sometimes they needed a break. They were little. But, if you struck out, you struck out. "Bummer. Better luck next time. Hey, let me show you how to hold the bat better. Don't worry. You'll get it." Whiners were told to shut up or leave the game. Bullies were driven out. We kept score. We chose up sides. We came home dirty and sweaty with scrapes and bruises. And we're better people for it.
  • Lurkin' Murkin'
    Lurkin' Murkin' Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Free for all...

That sure sounds familiar - and happiest player was the neighborhood dog who invited himself to "play ball"... I guess dodgeball (how many steps were you allowed) is forbidden or forgotten now, too?
  • Unknown
    Options

I remember playing baseketball in junior high... our team was running for the district championship.

We came up to another team and we just plain decimated them. We were up something like 30 to 6 (or something like that anyway) and pulled a fast break to score again, and it was then half time. Our coach then made us run a wind sprints (basket to foul and back, to mid and back, to other foul and back, and to other side and back) through half time. We complained and he just told us, "You never fast break on a team you're beating by 30 points".

I never forgot that lesson.

And I tell you what, if he EVER heard us say anything less complimentary than "good game" or "nice job" to the other team, we ran laps after the game. Period. If we ever said anything about "itching bellies" or whatever, we'd probably have to sit the next game out. There was no room on that team for disrespecting your opponents. And frankly, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It made us feel like men to learn to win and lose with dignity, even at 12 years old.

Taking a code of conduct seriously... learning about Honor... is critical in sports, because I think it's critical in life too. Ribbing the other team is for backyard games between friends. When you're playing strangers, you put your game face on and you treat them with respect. You might not have your heart in the "good games" in the lineup after the game, but you said it anyway and shut your mouth otherwise.

I tell you, knowing how to make baskets has never proven useful in my life. But those lessons sure have.
  • Leo
    Options
    To Realolman's comment

Those kids played football for years and savored the wins. Given it took so long the PC crowd would rather see no scoring method and everyone go home happy. I would rather see it the way your son did it, the old fashion way, they earned it. They also learned there are people without character and people with character as they saw when the opposing coach complimented them.

Leo
This discussion has been closed.