Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mechanical connections for steam piping

Options
Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
I must have missed that one- did anyone mention controversial topics like Gerbil Worming again? :)

As to your question, no, I do not know of a mechanical connector for the situation you describe. If, as you say, the pipe is rotted and leaking, I would bite the bullet and replace it. It is clearly time.

Suppose you did get a joint to hold. What is left is a potential danger.

Comments

• John Phillips
    John Phillips Member Posts: 2
    Options
    mechanical fittings for steam piping

Wow! On 5/17, I asked this question, went away for 4 days, and checked for responses on 5/22. Over 200 messages were posted after mine and my message was gone. I have a difficult spot where I cannot weld or thread easily. The 2.5" sch 40 iron pipe is rotted and leaking. Does anyone know if a gasketed type fitting exists like a Victaulic clamp all? Victaulic rep I talked to said they are not rated for steam. Thank You. JP
  • Mad Dog!!!!!!!!
    Mad Dog!!!!!!!! Member Posts: 157
    Options
    No rated for steam - generally

What kind of pressure are we talking here? Mad Dog
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    your earlier post

Do a Search on the Wall - you had a couple of suggestions. (I remember the original post, for some reason....)

Peace
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options

Why fix? Replace that puppy if it's rotted or leaking. The rotting and leaking will just get incessantly worse over time. It's fairly easy to saw out a 2.5" pipe at the nearest fittings and replace with a union then you'll have 100 or so more years to go before it happens again.
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Options
    John

Next time you need to save a post go to the main forum page and click the dot just before the message title and it will turn red and stay on te main page on your computer so that you can reflect back on it later.
  • TJ_5
    TJ_5 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Mechanical steam repair

Dresser corp makes a fitting to repair steam lines as described. We use them on lines up to 100#
  • Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Why would you patch it?

I don't get it, is this a fix and flip (run). Why wouldn't a proper repair be best?

A patch on steam is like a rag and duct tape for a cracked stack.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    repair job

back in the day , we used dresser cplg. w/bestos gasket rated for steam. probably something similar available but still just a temporary repair. unless being done by a home owner. a pro would not be able to gaurantee the job.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options

There are a large number of options, metal flex and such, and vic couplings are steam rated by the way, they have 3 red stripes or something like that for marking and cost about $80 each in the 3" size but the best is generally to replace with like kind piping, you have no excuse to do the right thing the first time!
This discussion has been closed.