Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this correct?

Options
Kevin_54
Kevin_54 Member Posts: 30
Does a 1 degree tempature drop in a boiler represent a savings of 3 BTU's? I thought i heard this once but i can't remember where.

Comments

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Only if

you are dealing with three pounds of water and you are only speaking of net BTU's available after combustion.

Otherwise I am not really sure of the context.
  • Kevin_54
    Kevin_54 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    radiant

It would be a radiant system running @ a lower tempature using a condensing boiler. So running the boiler @ say 120 opposed to 180 just trying to figure out what kind of potential savings.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Chart

Does this chart help? It's not linear.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    It's been said.......

The folks at a Viessman class I attended referred to the fact that for every 3 degree drop in boiler water temperature, below 140*, you pick up 1% in boiler efficiency. I think Andrew's chart bears this out. Low temp systems with condensing boilers ROCK!!! Nothing beats looking at exhaust temps that are 10-20* LOWER than your supply temp.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

This is a digest of information--theoretical, manufacturer supplied and as recorded in my "wired" system.

Using a condensing/modulating boiler

Presuming 120F supply temperature at design load and presuming some form of reset and presuming a well-sized boiler you can sincerely count on 98% gross system efficiency for the heating season as a whole.

If the boiler and all piping are in the conditioned envelope, you can consider seasonal net system efficiency very close to 98% as well.

Significant daily setback is really the only way to reduce this seasonal efficiency as it will require higher water temperatures and/or higher boiler output during the recovery phase. Granted there is a savings from reduced load from lower room temperatures during the setback phase, but my personal opinion and measurements (substantiated here by someone else with a "wired" system) are that these essentially cancel each other out and there is no net savings. My personal opinion and measurements (not yet substantiated here) is that not using setback results in a savings if you maintain space temperature lower than the high setting when using setback.

Using a conventional boiler with a fixed operating temp of 180F in the same system

If you achieve 70% gross seasonal efficiency, consider yourself to be among the finest hydronic engineers--and pray that the always problematic vent damper isn't abandoned...

More typically, you can expect 40% - 60% gross seasonal efficiency. I say with absolute sincerity that the more the customer will try to save with such a system, the lower the gross seasonal efficiency will be. The fuel savings will still outpace the efficiency hit, but not by much!

If you operated the condensing/modulating boiler at a fixed temp of 180F in the same system

Yes, it's possible even if it is rather stupid. You could expect a gross seasonal efficiency in the range of 85% - 92%. My personal opinion is that efficiency would wind up nearer the low end of this range than the higher.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes, I know these numbers are at complete odds to AFUE. Condensing/modulating boilers and conventional boilers simply cannot be compared via AFUE. Search here and you will find innumerable reports from both homeowners and contractors to verify.
This discussion has been closed.