Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I'll be replacing my direct fired water heater soon; thoughts?

Options
Daniel_3
Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
It was a 50 gallon mor-flo circa 1992 and it's time to go. I am now considering installing a Bosch aquastar or equivalent side mount continous water heater instead of a direct fired rheem or ruud. Basically I would need to use two major applications at once hence the aquastar seems a good choice. Any thoughs on what the best product is? It strikes me as a good choice since I like the idea of continous hot water and high efficiency in one package. Pros/Cons?.

Edit: I have gas / steam one pipe system. Northeast (MA). Just the wife and I for the immediate time being. The Bosch has 5.3 gpm and I'm not sure of the temp rise.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

These units must be sized to your needs, and sound easy to install, but a small gas leak or improper venting can and will kill you. Please consult a pro.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Some Considerations

My step-brother, Mr. Natural, Save the (planet, whales, etc), Mr. Crunch that Granola, no fur, etc. etc.) insalled a tankless -without asking me- and hated it. He installed it too far away from the fixtures. The solution I gave him was to.... add a tank and a D'mand recirculation system. I think he still likes me :)

Point being, your proximity counts. Too long a distance and you can fill a bath, sure, but washing a glass wastes water, gas and Birkenstock soles from pacing back and forth.

As noted, gas consumption and venting is huge when it runs, nil when it does not.

The 5.3 GPM rating is either at an 80 or 100 degree rise, typically. Usually 40-140 for the 100 rise or 50-130 for the 80. Either should be OK, I would think, although I prefer the 140 to kill the little Legionella buggers.
  • Daniel_7
    Daniel_7 Member Posts: 9
    Options

I'm not a professional by any means but common sense weighs in heavily concerning gas fittings and proper venting , that of which I am skilled. Concerning the burner set-up and firing rate, that I will not do my self since I never have. I'm safe, not foolish. For an instantaneous heater I would not install my self but a direct water heater, not a problem.
This discussion has been closed.