Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system 2000 leaking CO

Options
chapchap70_2
chapchap70_2 Member Posts: 147
What method did you use to determine it is leaking CO? That boiler (oil or gas) has a safety switch that turns the burner off if there is excessive back pressure so even if the burner is not tuned properly, the CO flue gases should exit the home safely or the burner shuts off (if the switch is still connected).

Comments

• arne 53
    arne 53 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    system 2000

has anyone had any problems with the system 2000 back cover and chamber cracking and leaking CO ? It appears the boiler had not been cleaned in a few years but I would hope that it would not be this easy to create such a serious problem. thanks arne
  • arne 53
    Options

all the co detectors in the house went off and after the tech opened up the back of the boiler he found a hole in the large insulating panel and the fire chamber. it is an oil boiler.
  • chapchap70_2
    Options

Did you recently buy the house? I asked because you said something to the affect of "it seems it hasn't been cleaned in a while". I am assuming that a blockage of soot either in the boiler or chimney base caused a back pressure condition so the flue gases did not escape via the chimney (or powerventer) like normal.

I hope the tech did a thorough job fixing the problem. Did he say anything about a puff switch? I don't know of any other oil boilers that have one (codes don't require it) and this is exactly the reason for it. The switch should have shut the appliance down way before this. I have seen them disconnected though. Some techs disconnect the switch without checking the draft. (It runs without locking out so he fixed the problem, right?)

This is not a run of the mill boiler so if a tech hasn't seen it before, he'd be wise to use the manual or ask someone for help.
  • arne 53
    Options

the puff switch was connected, unknown if it was operating properly, substantial but not total blockage in boiler flue passage
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    my buddy and i cleaned his boiler out the other day....

ten baggs of soot and condensation build up later.....it was running perfectly with the door open to the boiler room...i closed the door...put my carbon monoxide detector in the room ...6 ppm....can any body give me a amen for make up air suggestion? :)
  • chapchap70_2
    Options

Just take the door off its hinges:)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Great EYE Deah *~/:)

take the boiler door off the hinges :) Dammbit! i Knew there was a reason for all that fancy hardware on the boiler :)

i will have to get some duct tape to keep the burner aimed at the fire chamber ... :)here i was considering a hole to let some Oxygen into the room...foolish me.

another unique solution might be to cut a hole through the outside man door, duct tape in some of that Fancy accordian dryer vent to the boiler and put the burner outside on the lawn ...to fire into the dryer vent :) nah... the 1700+ degree heat from the gun might melt the stuff...back to the drawing board..:( why is there never an easy solution ...just difficult problems? :)
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    No fresh air kit

on the boiler? I think an air box and some PVC pipe to the outdoors would be the best solution
  • chapchap70_2
    Options

As far as I know, EK likes to see most of its boilers installed with fresh air kits.

I'm curious about the burner not locking out before the carbon monoxide detectors sounding. Even with a bad chamber and insulation board, I thought the back pressure necessary to have enough CO leaking into the home for CO alarms to sound would have tripped the puff switch.
  • arne 53
    Options

I will find out about the puff switch, if it was installed and operating or just bypassed. It seems the tech would have caught that either way.
This discussion has been closed.