Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bujying a replacement gas boiler

Options
If efficiency is high on your list of priorities give highest consideration to a condensing/modulating boiler (presuming you're using gas--natural or LP--as fuel). Old system with cast iron radiators thrive when driven by such a boiler.

Insulate/weatherize as much as practical BEFORE you replace the boiler.

If you want to go all out for efficiency, comfort and versatility, install thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) on all of the radiators as well.

Comments

• Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    Replacing my gas boiler

I need to replace the gas boiler in my old 3500 sq ft WWI era house with 15 old iron radiators on the main floors and a more "modern" system of radiators in the three basement rooms. Can anyone suggest what kind of boiler I should consider? I gather it's going to be very expensive but I don't even know what issues I should consider as I try to find someone to do the work. Many thanks
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    replacing a hot water gas boiler

Thanks so much. It's a hot water system. A pretty well recommended local company [Albemarle Heating & Air] said they install Buderus boilers and guesstimated over the phone (I didn't get a proper estimation yet) that it would cost about $9000, depending on what they have to do fit in the hot water system. That seems like a lot of money. So before I go getting proper estimates from this or any other company I need know more than I do about what I need. Any advice or suggestions about where to go to learn more are welcome!
    Achsah
  • Johnnie Carlisle
    Johnnie Carlisle Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Replaceing (Oil fired ) Steam boiler with a Gas fired (1 pipe sy

I am going to replace my Oil fired ,one pipe steam boiler with a gas fired boiler. I need a detailed way of sizeing the new boiler
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Steam boilers

are sized to the radiation capacity of the system, expressed in square feet of radiation. If you're interested, check out Dan's book "E.D.R." in the site's online store.

Have you compared the cost per BTU of gas vs. oil in your area? If not, you might be in for a surprise on your utility bill......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.