Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quick question on corrugated stainless tubing

Options
Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
we can run csst down a wall then a short distance to the unit. you still need a Black drip tee, union and stop between the unit and the csst.

One problem with brass (I know that csst fittings and stops are brass) you have to prove that the gas is the right chemical makeup (don't have the code in front of me) so it will not effect brass or copper pipe and fittings. Had an inspector call me on a brass nipple for that.

Go by the MFG book, in my area you must be certified on the product you are installing and be a gas fitter or plumber.

Mitch S.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=388&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    Options
    quick question on corrugated stainless tubing

I just have a quick question on corrugated stainless tubing for connecting natural gas line. Actually, it is not for our heating system but for a water heater. I need to use a union to connect. Is it ok to use brass union with the stainless?
  • Kevin Pulver
    Kevin Pulver Member Posts: 67
    Options
    What brand are you using Dave?

Where did you get it? There's lots of different types of stuff out there. We could use a little more information.
    Kevin
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    Unions

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) is not approved for use as an appliance connector. If you get an approved Flexible Gas Connector (AGA) it then becomes your "union" between the appliance and the fixed gas line. They come with the adapters to go from pipe threads to the flare on the connector. Some appliance connectors may be stainless, but they are a different animal than CSST and the fittings are NOT interchangeable.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Yes

Brass is OK. The csst can be run directly to connect a permanently installed appliance like a furnace or water heater. Most people stub the water heater out with 1/2 inch black pipe and connect the csst above the mandated shutoff. If you put in csst you need to follow the install instructions for the specific manufacturer as well as the national code. As the other post suggested you can't just chop up csst to make range connectors. Besides, given the cost of the csst end fittings it's a lot cheaper to buy the correct connector.
This discussion has been closed.