Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trim for the Red Dining Room

Options
but didn't look closely. Now I see it's not one of your Capitols, possibly an ornate 4-column unit?

That's gonna be a showpiece when it's done. I better not let The Lovely Naoko see it :-O

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Vast majority original (1903) or from 1923 remodel. All this just for the dining room and does not count the wainscotting. The long pieces are about 16'. Door at end leads to the dining room.

About 3 months of most spare time to strip/fabricate, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, prime (enamel underbody), sand, prime and sand all this and the 2x 15-lite doors, 6 sash and 6 jambs. Another 6 weeks for the wainscott (vast majority spent on the guilloche (interlocking circle) bas relief carving.

There should be plenty of white to "tone down" that super-saturated red...
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    But the most important thing

is sitting in the doorway............

The Radiator!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

You got it!!!!

The original was nearly twice that height. Still can't find enough replacement sections let alone the "tall leg" US Capitol end sections (38" high, five tube). I robbed a BUNCH of sections from this one to repair others.

Still amazes me though that under ANY conditions that radiator (with TRV) remains one of the coolest in the house.

In case you wonder my 1,049 sf EDR is based on INSTALLED radiation. Another 50 or so if this were the original.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Frank,

Has your bride, TLN, started to roll her eyes about you when you start in about radiators and boilers?

My bride of 22 years does....
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Sometimes

she knows I'm really into them- but she also knows how comfortable they make her in the winter!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Did you notice the big column-type rad in the far background? It's there to weigh down a hump. Takes YEARS with 1" of cypress, 3/4" hard yellow pine and 5/8" oak.

I love my dead men but they had ZERO concern for structure in existing homes. Used to be a wall over to the right through the door to the dining room with a normal sized door.

They opened to about 9' wide and left the ONLY support in the very center without bothering to support the ends of the new opening! Wouldn't be too bad if it weren't supporting two floors above!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Frank: the overall design.

Foreground is the kitchen part of the kitchen/breakfast. Left is east, foreground is north, background south.

Odd ceiling in the kitchen is for indirect cove-mounted dimmable fluorescent. Holes you see are for HI-V A/C.

Rough wall near the front of the kitchen has a broom closet behind--rough portion begins ovens, refrigerator and open shelves for everyday glassware and cookbooks.

Front wall mainly a 5' cooktop (Dynasty). You can barely make out the beginning of the windows at the left. Double set of double hung above the sink. My stained glass pattern in the upper sash echoes the dividing band between the upper and upper-upper cabinets.

Large island roughly in the space of the sawhorses. Right side contains undercounter freezer and icemaker (I FINALLY found a what seems to be an ideal residential stand-alone icemaker--just hope it works as well as it promises...) Left side the "chopping" area and sink.

Foreground is the eating area. Separated by an eating peninsula. Doing my best to preserve the view (both ways) as the eating area N & E is all windows. Upper storage above peninsula just dowels for vertical storage of everyday dishes and the "upper-upper" is suspended from black iron (gives about 16" of clear space).
This discussion has been closed.