Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SuperStor Ultra Leaking Wells & No Warranty

Options
John V
John V Member Posts: 14
we replaced a ss indirect,leak in a t-o-let weld. Distributor replaced the tank. Maybe they are having QC troubles with their welding operation and are now trying to CTA.

Comments

• Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options
    Anyone else had a leaking well in a superStor Ultra

We just got one in a unit we installed 2-1/2 years ago. These carry a limited lifetime warranty that HTP "will repair or replace, at its option, without charge, any indirect-fired water heater having a defect or malfunction that results in a water leak from the outside jacket, inner tank, or heat exchanger".

Seems like a well leak doesn't qualify with HTP although to be honest I've never had a well leak in another WH. According to my distributer they've seen a number of the SuperStors with well leaks.

We'll cover this out of our pocket since it was sold to the client on the basis of having a LLT warranty against leakage even if HTP won't make good on it. Just doesn't give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling toward HTP.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

I have had leaking wells in SSU's as well as others. When the wells are part of the indirect they have been covered completely. When they have been third party parts that are threaded, then there was no coverage. Unscrewed the old well, replaced with new, then had an extremely satisfied customer.

ps All of the removable wells that had been leaking were eaten through by the water conditions!!! Can't really blame the SSU for that.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Superstor

Just had our first. It was over 2 years old on well water. Not only rotted the well but totally destroyed the aquastat. I bet we have installed inexcess of a hundred tanks though with no problems. Just found our first tank leaking near the welded inlet. Actually leaked within a month. Really not dissappointed though. As long as it gets replaced.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    If the tank........

is made of stainless, then you must use a stainless well. The brass wells act as an anode rod and eventually leak.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Electrolysis will always occur

between dissimilar metals with an electrolyte (water) present. The make up of the water is sees on a daily basis can and will certainly accelerate this. Be interested to know the ph of the incoming water.

Stainless is particulary sensitive to chloride induced crevice corrosion. Water softners can leave a high level if the salt is not backwashed completely. Also solder fluxes contain chlorides.

I agree with heatboy, why not just use a stainless well of the same alloy family. It would take one variable from the equasion. And why not just weld a stainless well in the tank and eliminate the screwed connection? Or just give us a threaded bolt to fasten on a thermistor like many solar tanks :) I prefer a thermistior to a cap tube control any day.

hot rod

• Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options
    Exactly

A thermister connection, welded well or even a strap on stat. The fewer penetrations into a tank the better off everyone is.
This discussion has been closed.