Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermal Mass Modeling Software?

gasfolk
gasfolk Member Posts: 392
Can anyone recommend any of the programs among the <a href="http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory/alpha_list.cfm">Building Energy Software Tools</a> listed at the US Department of Energy website?

I would especially welcome comments on programs that may be useful for modeling a high-mass home.

Thanks,

gf

Comments

• gasfolk
    Simulation Software

Can anyone recommend any of the programs among the Building Energy Software Tools listed at the US Department of Energy website?

I would especially welcome comments on programs anyone has actually used to model a high-mass home.

Thanks,

gf
  • gasfolk
    Building Energy Software Tools

Can anyone recommend any of the programs among the Building Energy Software Tools listed at the US Department of Energy website?

I would especially welcome comments on programs anyone has actually used to model a high-mass home.

Thanks,

gf
  • Brad White_91
    Brad White_91 Member Posts: 25
    What a great site!

Of those listed, the only "modeling" program I have personally used is ComCheck Plus. (This is required for compliance verification per our Energy Code and has specific state compliance pull-down menus.) It is geared principally to building envelope compliance but has lighting and power input sections as well.

It is not terribly sophisticated (simplified to be simple I would say) and does what it does well.

Among other output features, it has a "percentage of compliance" line, telling you by how much you fall short or exceed the requirements; great for LEED point verification. (This also gives the architect an unexpected budget to spend on more glass... :(

Probably not to your needs, but that is my experience. I am going to bookmark that site for my company as we often try out new tools. Many now in one place- thanks for that.
  • Joe_58
    Joe_58 Member Posts: 4
    Right Suite

My personal favorite is the Right Suite program. It is very easy to use. I use it almost every day to make layouts and perform heatloss calcs.
This discussion has been closed.