Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unusual situation,...Need all imput Please

an attempt to rid the joint of bugs. Maybe sulphur candles, or some witches brew, ask the bug guys if they can help. J.Lockard

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Black soot like color on ALL coper pipe in house..?

I have a customer that is in a 5 year old house. All copper including the Evav. which I had to take apart to find a leak has this black color substance on it. Performed combustion tests on 2 water tanks piped in paralled, all OK. Furnace is Rheem 90+ and OK, but did not perform test. Fire flace exists and is a dierct vent type. I have ruled out candles, possible earlier mishap meaning fire of some kind, OK.... Mold is a Q of coarse, but I was looking for opinions as to or if anyone had seen this before.

Also, just as a note, there is no ghosting on white walls near returns or supplies. Possible mold but I don't know. When I say all is Black, I mean all exposed copper from plumbing to ref lines are black....

Thanks

Mike T.
  • Brad White_91
    Brad White_91 Member Posts: 25
    ??

Is this spotty or consistent all the way and wherever copper is found?

Like you I would suspect mold (mildew on condensation on CW lines comes to mind), BUT... copper (copper oxide) is a natural biocide for mildew...

To test, spot a little bleach 10:1 dilute solution. If it blanches in a few seconds it is likely mildew.

Of course you could always slap your forehead and say. "Duh! The pipe is covered in Armaflex!" :)

Interesting... I will stay tuned. I will seek my references for what makes copper oxidize black; I use some chemicals which do this for craft and modeling purposes. Let me get back to you.

UPDATE: My "copper black" solution has selenium dioxide and denatured alcohol in it. (Selenium is the material in gun bluing by the way). I cannot imagine you have selenium airborne or you would all be dead now :)

I browsed some web sites on metal finishing and there are references to "Black Copper Oxide) which has the same chemical formulation as Green Copper Oxide ("verdigris"). The processes mentioned all involved caustic solutions and heat, none of which, I pray, are floating about you... Puzzling about the color...
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Brad

It is a uniform covering. Almost look's like someone painted it with powder coat..and forgot to bake it. When I rubbed the pipe with my hands, it almost has the characteristics of carbon. I am at a loss here. I will post some pictures so all can see. Funny thing, it is not discolored where the 95/5 solder appears on a given joint.

Mike T.
  • Brad White_91
    Brad White_91 Member Posts: 25
    Mike- Yes, post pictures

and cue Twilight Zone theme....

Does not stick to solder? Mmmmmm. Thought Plickens...

Is the material electrostatic/magnetic? Does it burn? Just fishing here...
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    I have seen it

I have several rural customers with what we call Sulphur water. Well water witha sulphur in it. In some instances the content is so high copper lasts only a year.

There is a spray on coating for coils in these situations, or you can go to aluminium coils, but the tubing to connect still needs protecting.

The gas utility here classifies copper gas lines here as illegal as it is a "corrosive atmosphere"

Same for the condenser.

Is it on the refrigerator and other copper? I would guess sulphur.

Mitch
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Try this

Clean or sand a spot off and re-inspect it in a couple weeks to see if'n it has come back. (Twilight zone music again). I see a lot of black copper in barns where there are always acid and clorine vapors in the air from cleaning and sanitizing agents used to wash the dairy equipment. Usually it's noticeable on the cold lines that sweat but I have seen it on hot lines in poorly ventilated structures.
This discussion has been closed.