Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe insulation

Options
as a concern, no. What is your concern with regards to the 3/4" strut?

Comments

• bovide_4
    bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
    Options

I visited a building whose condensate lines leading to a floor drain have soaked the fiberglass insulation with condensate and is puddling the floor. The 1 1/2" condensate header is sitting on top of 3/4" strut on the floor.
    I was thinking of repiping the header to sit on top of 1 1/2" strut and installing 1" thick foam insulation.
    Any recommendations?
  • Brad White_91
    Brad White_91 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Copper or Plastic?

Sounds like a choice at the grocery checkout. (Copper please!) 1 1/2" is not cheap in the latter..

If PVC, that it would sweat that much is unusual in my experience but if you are running a Unico or other HV system the condensate will be in the low-mid 40's. If copper that definitely would sweat. Are you sure it is external condensation? Or a leak?

If condensation almost any thickness of Armaflex should work provided it is not in a completly muggy, unconditioned area. If so, use a full 3/4", sealed. Regardless of thickness, make sure it runs continuously through the hangers, no stopping. Insulated clamps are also a good idea.

Big drain, 1 1/2", how many tons?
  • bovide_4
    bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
    Options

Don't know how many tons, but the piping is copper. Large building. Think I could keep the 3/4" strut?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    A picture would be great.

You can use armofllex insulation and possibly add a trap at the unit to stop the rush of cool air thru the condensate line if not already trapped,

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.