Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

coal boiler tied to oil boiler piping

Options
Al Letellier_9
Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
You should contact the manufacturers to get the necessary info on the proper way to hook them up. typically they are piped to allow flow through both boilers, especially if the oil boiler has a coil for domestic hot water.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=248&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• JC from PA
    JC from PA Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Tying coal hot water boiler into existig oil hot water boiler

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do and what not to do? It's a Memco coal boiler and a New Yorker oil fired. I could parallel or put them in series. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I'd look into

a primary secondary. Same as I would oil/ wood or oil/ electric or any other dual combo. This assures proper flow through each, keeps them hydraulicly seperate, keeps the off line boiler cool.

Al brings up a good point about a HW coil. I suppost an aquastat could trigger the oil boiler circ and allow heat from the primary loop and the coal boiler to heat the oil boiler. Sort of an indirect boiler/ DHW source.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    Options
    Valves

I would do a primary/secondary arrangement with motorized valves (I can't call them zone valves any longer, as they do so much more)on the supply pipes. Have a simple aquastat on each boiler open the proper valve whenever that particular boiler reaches a set temperature. whatever boiler is heating will supply the loop, without unloading any of the heat into the off unit.
This discussion has been closed.