Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New to Me

Options
Jeff Elston
Jeff Elston Member Posts: 289
Just storage, the pumps are on/off switched. Should the ball valve between the 2 tees be shut? All the valves are open now. I was looking at a property a cust of mine just bought. Is this remote storage, the boiler room is 150' down the line.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=405&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Jeff Elston
    Options
    Anyone Know what this dose or how it works?

The 2- 2" risers in the left of pic 2129 go up and connect to the DHW line the tees are separated with a ball valve the hot water flows left to right. The 1" riser is connected to the DHWR with a tee. Those are 006 pumping into tank.

I have never seen this configuration before and was wondering if anybody had an idea with this. The mantainance has called the service sticker # and was waiting for a call back.

Whadda you think!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_87
    Brad White_87 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Looks fairly conventional to me Jeff

Standard even-flow recirc lines responding to a distant thermostat? Or perhaps charging the tank from another source?

The top arrangement of interconnection- I would think they would take off the hottest water from there. Any reason that top header is not air-bound? That one puzzles me a tad.

Other than that, if it were my design, I would have piped the tanks reverse-return (left to right in, left to right out) just to get equal flow into each tank.

Are these just storage or are they electric heaters with the elements out of view? Is there an issue with them?
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    Options
    oops

uhhhhh I think someone messed up the piping

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/piping/A0530.pdf

they looked at this

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/spec/media/storage/A4023.pdf

they have very little well no storage if the ball valve is open
  • Unknown
    Options
    I waited

I waited til someone say something about these... Looks like storage tanks with improper pipings and Brads right, how the top pipes not be airbounded... Is this the same job u were asking about piping size in earlier post?
  • Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    draining tanks

Couldn't see any drains in those pictures, hopefully around back. Isolation valves would have been nice also.
  • Jeff Elston
    Options
    Nope different Job

I was walkin down the hall to the B room when the maintenance man stoped out of the blue, fumbled some keys, said you should see this then opened the door and that's that.

I havent been on the CW pipe job yet.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Brad

That looks O.K. to you ?

It seems to not be any of the designs I've never seen. I would think those tanks would want to pull evenly out the top and have a equal flow thru the tanks ?

Scott

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Bad, bad, Leroy Brown

Baddest water heater install, around the town!

So many things wrong with that install, a feller hardly knows where to start. Those T&P relief valves could be sitting high & dry!

Maybe they wanted to have built-in thermal expansion cushions(G).

Pipe that up properly and you'll either add enough domestic hot water storage that they think there's a fourth tank, or you could probably eliminate one of the three tanks. LL they're losing about 1/3 of each tank's capacity.

• Brad White_87
    Options
    That was what I was saying, Scott

My comment on what looked conventional to me was the circulator arrangement but that the top "staple" header and the direct return flow pattern would not allow even flow though the tanks. I could not figure out why they did not use the top for the leaving HW. I like your arrangement better, no question.

Mostly I was trying to gather more information. The comment about the T&P's high and dry was a good one! I have to think though that the water must find it's way up there at some point but would still retain an air pocket. I wondered to myself if the upper side taps had upward dip tubes like a Super-Stor to draw water from the high point.
  • Brad White_87
    Options
    Making more sense

Yes the ball valves between the tees must be closed or you will bypass the tanks entirely as Anothermarty said.

Are the 006's recirculating or are they also serving the charging function? (Small flow over time if that is the case).

I can see remote storage but with manual control I have to wonder how much more they can save in energy. Some form of temperature control should be implemented, a tank aquastat if nothing else. 150 feet of that size pipe? If it was installed a few years ago that is one thing but at last week's copper prices I would be impressed...

Have to wonder how they isolate the tanks to replace one. No isolation valves. But the charging circulators would at least charge evenly.

My $0.02
    Brad
  • Unknown
    Options
    that's the

That's way to to pipe the multi storage tanks, a lot more work but each tank will get even wears.... Due to things are made now days, I piped from back to front to make replacment easier... Futhermore, I recheck the building loads as those are ususally way over engineered,.. I had one house, yes a house, have 3 of those storage tanks with 375.000 btu heater! (Piped in series) I asked the franchiced plumber there if they were supply hot water to the whole neighborhood? He told the homeowner that I wasn't experinced enough to know what I'm talking about while he was replacing the bronze bearing assy with the iron body assy on vertical pipe with swing check valve hanging open all the time, hey the arrow is the right direction! ( I was there for possible snow melting job and didint get due to "high" cost)
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    piping

Amen on the back to front. Had a similar setup in a restaurant a few years back. The middle tank let go and if the installer had run the piping mains behind the tanks, installed shut offs and unions, we could have left the other two on line and the restaurant open. Instead, the restaurant remainded closed most of the day as we had to drain all three tanks and work our butts off to changeout one tank. I agree its a lousy piping job. ALWAYS think about your install work as though you'll be the poor SOB that will have to service it....

• Jeff Elston
    Options
    Tanks

Seeing storage piped like that is new to me. I was biting my tongue in the room trying to be political and not upset anyone , but yes I would also do it differently. I said to my partner as we left "Maybe they needed expansion tanks?"

They are not ASME so I don't think we will even bid to fix, the boiler room on the other hand will soon much better. There is 1-5.5 million Federal and A smaller no-name steel tube both winter summer hookups. The federal kicked on when I was there and I was scared! The comfort system mixing valve was laying on the floor strait down from it old location on the piping,(its a good thing the guy moved his foot) the 6" air scoop had 22 gauge banding wrapped around the nipple then strung up the a piece of rod. The FED started I got scared and left, hopefully I be back with the scraper!

This discussion has been closed.