Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone Heard of a Union Steam Boiler?

Ken_40
Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
W/M decided to do "private branding" as a way to lower price points a tad. Union Steam is a Weil McLain boiler dressed in a differnet cabinet, cast at the same foundry, same warranty and all the larger W/M wholesalers I am aware of, cary the W/M brand, as well as the "private" brand at a slight discount (each major wholesaler being asked to "name" their own "brand". Mike at WAB chose "Union Steam," presumably because WAB is in Union County, NJ and there is a high percentage of steam systems in that region. Our experience was that people were skeptical, very aware of the W/M name and had a warm fuzzy feeling for the known brand, compared to the exact same unit with a "private" name tag, this, despite a ~10% discount.

Hope this helps.

Comments

• Paul C._2
    Paul C._2 Member Posts: 18
    Anyone Heard of a Union Steam Boiler?

Spoke to my oil man about replacing the reliable as a locomotive ArcoLiner with something more eficient and he indicated they install "Union Steam" boilers. Found a cheesy web site and not much else. ArcoLiner runs fine and I'd hate to swap it for a big headache with minimal fuel savings.
  • John@Reliable_10
    John@Reliable_10 Member Posts: 99
    Never heard of them.......................

whats the web site? Could be a major name boiler, with private label which at this time is only a guess.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    No headache.

It's a venture of Michael Murphy, formerly of Weil-McLain, and now one of the owners of a really good wholesaler in N.J. It's a private brand and a good boiler. The name comes from a story I once told him.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul C._2
    Paul C._2 Member Posts: 18
    Website

Website is unionsteam.com. Little leery of something I can't find any info. on. How do they compare to the other brands discussed here?
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Story Time

Mr. Holohan,

Can you tell me the story ?
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Union Steam

Yup, same as the WM & Thermoflo but priced right!

can you say market share?

Good Boiler!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • same as

Same thing what weil mclain doing with Willaimson, just different color, located in Milwaukee wisc
  • Lucien
    Lucien Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Which boiler should I go with, Union Steam or Thermo-flo

Hello all,

I currently own a WM gas boiler, but I recently received 2 estimates to replace my gas boiler and I was told that these two boilers are just as good or perhaps identical to a WM boiler, but they can save me money if I go with either company.

I'm @ a lost, can anyone vouch for any of the two name brands? Are they even good?

Thanks,

Lucien
This discussion has been closed.