Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A Memorial Day Request..............................

Options
Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,956
On Monday, PLEASE take a few minutes or more to Honor the Men and Women who have made the Ultimate sacrfice for The United States of America. Let the children know what this day is REALLY all about and how precious their hard-fought freedoms are. If you can't find a parade(which would be really hard...even in the Boonies) take the time out and have a moment of silence at the BBQ...give the Vet selling the Buddy Poppies $20.00 bucks. Irrespective of your politics....you owe it ALL to our VETs who have fallen for the USA. At Saratoga and Yorktown, In The Argonne and Hurtgen Forests, Pusan and Yalu River, Pleiku and The Parrot's Beak, Kuwait, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, 38th and 27Th Parallels, The Afghan Mountains and the The Airport Road of Baghdad....and ALL places of sacrifce not mentioned... God BLess all of our VETS and GOD Bless America!. Enjoy!,,,,BUT REMEMBER. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

MD, Consider that request honored my friend. God Bless You.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I brought my oldest

To our main cemetery service last year and explain what was happing. Its tough to tell a child whats going on when the echo to taps is played.

Just last night I explained what will happen on Monday to my youngest as his older brother will walk with the cubscouts in the Parade.

Yes they'll both know whats going on and why.

Matts right guys, let your kids know there's more going on then Burgers and the start of summer.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    To all the Veterans:

Thank you.

Jack
  • PJO_5
    PJO_5 Member Posts: 199
    Options
    Thanks to all Vets...

and to Matt for bringing this topic up. It's way too easy to gorget how we got here sometimes.

My second grader was doing some homework the other night about this subject and I told him to think off our country's heroes both dead and alive. He will thank my father when he sees him next...he did a career in the Army with two tours in 'Nam flying Hueys.

I will be in Annapolis tomorrow to see my nephew graduate from the USNA (younger brother in West Point)...our family now has all three branches covered.

God Bless the soldiers!

Take care, PJO (USAF '78-82)
  • Mike G_2
    Mike G_2 Member Posts: 13
    Options

This past Sunday, we took my daughter's Brownie Girl Scout Troop (6-8 year olds) to the cemetary for a flag-placing service project. Prior to going, I gave a short discussion about the real meaning of Memorial Day. The history lesson for both the girls and their parents was well worth it, as we found graves of service persons from the Civil War, Grand Army of the Republic, Viet Nam, Korea, WWI and WWII.

My wife's father served in the Pacific in WWII, and was wounded twice. The Bible in his chest pocket slowed the second bullet enough that it didn't kill him, but he still had the hole in his chest. That story really got the girls' attention.

Fly your Flags!
  • Sunny from CT
    Sunny from CT Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Veterans Thank You

I sure will. At Three PM it is requsted that everybody should abserve a one minute monent of silence. I will be running our local parade and marching up front.

All gave some but some gave All.

Gone but not Forgotten.

Thanx to all Veterans and their familly's who have sacrificed their time for the cause of Freedom
  • Unknown
    Options
    sad but true...

I brought some poppies and proundly wears it on my work hat... Sad that many younger than me mocked at me wearing the "flower" and I explained to them its one way of supporting the disabled vets that served our country...
  • Darin Cook_2
    Darin Cook_2 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Be a Proud American!!!

Take this from someone who has given almost 20 years of their life to the American military. It has been the best avenue I could have taken. So much goes on day by day, in peace and in war, that the average citizen does not know about. The people who have given their very lives demand to have a few seconds of your time on monday!!! I myself have volunteered with the rest of my Air Guard unit to serve a term in Iraq. We will be there sometime in the upcoming year. Alot of sacrifice in that decision both on me, my family, my business partner and best friend, and our customers. But my decision to serve, pales in comparison to the men and women who gave their lives for our freedoms. Thanks Matt for starting this thread!!

A dedicated professional, Darin
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    I will remember

My father served in WWII, Korea And Vietnam, theres not a day goes by that I dont think about the sacrifice he and many others have made and do make so we can can live free. Thanks to all the Vets living and passed on.
  • Terry_14
    Terry_14 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Son of a vet

As the son of a WWII Vet. My Dad painfully retold stories of loosing buddies and what the day meant to him.

As an adult i often wish I could be in the Air port commercial where the passengers stand and applaud our troups. Each time I see it a tear of pride forms and I thank God for my freedom at the cost of so many.

Mad Dog I'll honor your request and thanks to all Veterns on the WALL

God Bless America
    Terry Thayer
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    I had a friend

who served in the navy in WWII. He commanded a Higgins boat delivering troops to Omaha Beach on D-Day. His story made my story about flying B-52s during the Cuban Crisis seem mundane. He told me his story over 30 years ago and it is still etched in my mind.

I agree with Mad Dog, we can never thank these men and women enough and we certainly should honor them on Monday.

By the way, I thought enough of his story to send it in for publication. If it happens, I will let you all know.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Nice touch

Our community (Livonia, MI) is dedicating a new memorial to all vets who lived in Livonia and died in any of the wars in the past century. I've been watching it being built and it is a very special monument. The dedication is Saturday and unfortunately I'll be out of town. But I plan to invite my Dad, a WWII vet, to visit it with me on Monday. I expect that it will be an emotional journey. I'll post a pic later that day.

Thanks to all vets, from the bottom of my heart.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    This was really driven home last night...

Anybody watch the story of the Marine Corps Reserve guys from Ohio who were activated and then thrown into the worst areas of insurgents in Iraq? The films and pix were gut wrenching and the hell that urban combat really is was there, no holds barred. They lost almost half their troops to those horrible roadside bombs, insurgent snipers and sneak ambushes. The funeral service after they returned home was heart-breaking. You've got to feel for those poor guys and their families. From this ex-Coastie, Semper Fi, all you Marines out there!
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    Memorial Day Poem

Memorial Day Poem

We walked among the crosses
    Where our fallen soldiers lay.
    And listened to the bugle
    As taps began to play.

The Chaplin led a prayer
    We stood with heads bowed low.
    And I thought of fallen comrades
    I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
    Across this fertile land.
    That we might live in freedom.
    They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
    My sacrifice was small.
    I only lost a little time
    But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
    For this Memorial Day.
    To the names upon these crosses
    I just want to say,

Thanks for what you've given
    No one could ask for more.
    May you rest with God in heaven
    From now through evermore.

• Maine Doug_36
    Maine Doug_36 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    My stained glass

flag is in the window. Lit from behind with six 30 watt 36 inch lamps so it can shine on all who pass by. I just got it back from the airport where it was on loan to the troop greeting room for a couple of years. More than 300,000 troops have been met during fuel stops. I originally built it as a spec panel.
This discussion has been closed.