Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

just started

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
This allow either or boiler operation. Wood could be main source and a setpoint controls turns on the back up boiler when loop tempereture falls.

The wood boiler aquastat would drop off that circ when the wood boiler cools to 140.

The drawing is a bit rough, sorry

hot rod

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Just started

This project started today. The customer decided it was time to upgrade his system and wanted something a little quieter. He did require that we keep the wood boiler tied into the system as he goes without power alot during the winter. The system was antifreezed and after draining we found it had 95 gallon's in it. Almost ran out of buckets before we were done... He did decide to go with the new Burnham MPO boiler. I will say, I am greatly impressed with this boiler. I cannot wait to get the system fired up tomorrow...
  • lchmb
    Options
    5 hours

We worked until about 5:30 and decided tomorrow was another day. It was necessary to reroute a lot of domestic piping which over the year's was run through the middle of the heating system. We still have more to relocate but it's getting there. Dan and I are hoping to have it up and running complete by tomorrow afternoon....
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Nice job!

Looks very good! I don't mean to nitpick but the 007's can't be installed with motor up unless system cold fill pressure is at least 20 lbs

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jeff Elston
    Jeff Elston Member Posts: 289
    Options
  • lchmb
    Options
    Thanks

I did realize it but just to late to change it. When we return tomorrow it will be swung out to resolve that little problem. We were just trying to hang everything in place to get a look at it. Thank's for the point though, alway's help's to get another point of view on things.
  • lchmb
    Options
    my cheaters

When I start a job I tag all supplies, return's and t-stat wire's so I don't cross something up. Just big note's to myself..
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nice start , buddy

Did you thread those nipples ? Makes for the sturdiest piping possible around the boiler . The homeowner will appreciate the extra effort involved .

What about swapping out the circ with an IFC ? No need to spin the flanges on the setup .

Can't wait to see the finished product Lchmb . We've installed 5 or 6 so far and it really is an impressive boiler .
  • lchmb
    Options
    Thanks Ron

I just had to do all of it in black iron, we have a new power threader and it make's life so nice!! No need for the ifc on this setup so we'll just spin the flanges tomorrow and get her fired up. I actually pushed for this boiler after hearing from you on how nice and quiet the system was. Thanks for the good word!! :) Make sure to post some more pic's of your jobs, I need more idea's to work with and your's are the best...:)
  • lchmb
    Options
    Finally finished.

Was finally able to get back and finish the job. It took some creative wiring to control both the wood boiler and the oil as needed but it should work good. The customer was extremely happy with the setup and the quietness of the boiler. Thank you Burnham for making a heck of a nice boiler!!!
  • kev
    kev Member Posts: 100
    Options
    wiring

Great job! How do you wire the boiler circ and zone circ to come on when there is a call for heat using the TACO zone controllers. Did you use a three way valve behind boiler to protect for low temps?
  • lchmb
    Options
    Wiring

On the wiring issue, I have a taco sr501 controlling the main loop circulator which is called on by the Taco 406. The N/O contact's close for the boiler aquastat which call's the injection circulator on. If the wood boiler is brought online, a second Taco sr501 activate's the wood boiler injection pump. At the same time the N/C contact's open dropping out the oil boiler..:) And yes, I had fun wiring that. As to a 3 way valve, it was not necessary with the way it is piped and controlled...Thanks for the good word...:)
  • Rodney Summers
    Rodney Summers Member Posts: 748
    Options

lchmb nice job. do you need a pressure diff bypass t-ed in before and after the main pump. or between the supply and return to prevent the 007 from dead heading with zone valves

thanks
    Jason
  • lchmb
    Options
    Hi roosterboy

No the way the system is wired, no circulator will run without a zone open. In the case of the wood boiler, the circulator may run but it will just run in a circle...so it shouldn't hurt it either...Thanks
  • hr
    Options
    Nice work

the owner should be impressed and pleased. Curious why you didn't pipe both boilers P/S? It would handle flow issues and makes control logic real simple.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • lchmb
    Options
    Thanks Hot Rod

Thank's for the compliment. As to why, I really can't answer that one. This idea came to mind in a number of discussion's with my supervisor and we decided to do it this way. Now that I can look back on it, I'll have to consider other way's I could have done it. Ahh the learning thing never stop's..:)
  • lchmb
    Options
    In a way

In a way Hot Rod that's pretty much what I did. The only difference is I used one set of feed and return from the secondary loop. I was a little tight for space on the back of the boiler and wasn't sure I had enough room to fit two set's of pipes. In the end I probably could have but wasn't sure when I started.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Me too

I leave my tags on when we're done. They are bright yellow w/ red letters for my name and phone #. HO's LOVE 'EM !!!
    I paid about $40 for them and have done countless thousands of dollars worth of work from someone reading the tag.

I've even had people call and request I trace things out in their house and tag it up, "just like Charlie's house".

Amazing what people see :)

• hr
    Options
    Best I can tell

You have them piped like this? Is there another circ behind the wood boiler?

Regardless, unless you manually close off ball valves you will always be flowing through both boilers.

You don't want to flow heat from the oil fired through an unfired wood boiler, else you have a cooling tower.

And you don't want to flow the wood fired flow through the unfired oil for the same reason.

Certainly don't want to load and fire either with a manual valve in the off position.

By working with two P/S connections you handle all the what ifs and would not need to shut off ball valves manually. Each boiler is assured adequate flow with their own circ.

You could even fire both boilers together if the oil could not keep up.

Or I could be mis-reading your piping ;)

hot rod
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Is there anything to protect against an overheated wood boiler?

I have a customer with an old combination unit. It has an aquastat that closes on temp rise and bypasses a thermostat. It is set slightly higher than the oil burner high limit. This will dump heat from the boiler into his finished basement if there are not enough zones calling and the wood fire has brought the temp up too high.

Tom M.
  • lchmb
    Options
    Yes

The wood boiler is wired to open a number of zone's in the cellar when the wood boiler reach's 205 degree's. One of these zone's is to a green house that is rather large. It shouldn't see temp's from the oil boiler due to the way it is wired and piped..
  • Pinball
    Pinball Member Posts: 249
    Options

A question for ya ...If the main reason for the wood boiler, is because of alot of power failures, How is/are all those controls and circs gonna run with no electricity? And with the piping arrangment, won't gravity flow be difficult?

Al
  • lchmb
    Options
    actually

I am hoping it will not be an issue getting it to gravity flow from the boiler. Then again, I really won't be sure until we can fire the wood boiler up and try it. I will be returning this fall and will see then, but it was the only way to pipe the system without one boiler seeing the water from the other boiler.
  • lchmb
    Options
    Hi Hot Rod

Sorry I didn't catch up to you on this earlier. Been on vacation and trying not to drown with all the rain. As to the boiler's, each has it's own circ and flow check to make sure one doesn't see the other. They are wired so once the wood get's to 160 it drop's the oil out. I've never done a wood boiler before but did not want the oil to bring it higher in temp for fear of overshooting with the wood. That and I don't believe there is a high enough heat loss on the building to warrant having both run. When I fired the oil side up I did not feel any ghost flow toward's the wood side so I think I'm all set there.
This discussion has been closed.