Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Empire State Building

Options
t.p.tunstall
t.p.tunstall Member Posts: 18
brad....we've been spreading the word for years...most people look at you in disbelief...thanks for the call and confirmation. dan's been saying this for years, regards, t.p.

Comments

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Steam Pressure at the ESB

In response to a posting a week or so ago, there was speculation about how much steam pressure was used to heat the Empire State Building.

I suggested that someone should (then I in fact did) ask the Building Operating Engineer. Response is below.

Subject: Steam pressure used to heat the building
    Directed To: b. Construction
    Submitted: Jun 14, 2006 04:16:21 AM

===============================================
    The Empire State Building - Official Website - Inquiry Response:
    ===============================================

We have a 2 pipe system with traps and vacuum pumps.
    Less than 5 psig, typically 2-3 lbs.

To view a complete transcript of this communication,
    rate this answer or send a follow-up question,
    use the link below:
    https://app.serviceengine.com/LP/Goto.cfm?TD=7D50565F585C&v=0

Sincerely,
    The Empire State Building - Official Website
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Cool info Brad

Pretty amazing that the building uses only 2-3 lbs.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Thanks Brad!!!
  • what a coincidence

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the facts. I was at a church in Indiana this morning, in the boiler room of course, and was asked why the boiler was set to run at 8#. The church facilities committee volunteer thought it needed higher pressure because the one steam coil was so far above the boiler room. I went through the usual reasons why it doesn't require higher steam pressures, but added that even the Empire State Building runs at pressures around 2#.

The old Broomell literature shows a 27 story building in NYC that was operating at 8 ounces of pressure. As Dan says, "Crank it down".

Best regards, Pat

• Brad White_9
    Options
    You are welcome, Pat and Mike-

I was curious myself and have read the works of Dan Holohan where this was expressed at least in passing, so now we know.

My real hope in this is to have the ESB building engineer become a Wallie :) Truly he or she would be most welcome as the steward of an historic American icon.

Perhaps you can pass this on to your committee volunteer at "Our Lady of Gentlemen Start Your Engines" and say, "See?"

Yours in Vapor,

Brad
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks for the delightful post!

Retired and loving it.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Wish we could say the same for the city of Seattle. We still have a central steam plant feeding half the buildings. 300 PSI with leaks everywhere. I have had to repair a few. Nice boilers though.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I was once

inside the ball at the top of the Smith Tower. Vacuum steam system in that building.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Downtown

in Pioneer Square. It was the tallest building west of the Missisippi until the Seattle Worlds Fair. Hard to miss. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Duh, yes I know the one. Haven't been inside before. I think a former co-worker has serviced the boilers.

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    thats some great info Brad..

thanks for finding out for all of us..

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    hey Brad..

another question..whats the vacuum the pumps are set for? just curious.

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    District Supply Allowed Design Perfectly Suited to Structure

...and the dead men gave access to maintain their creation

Access to their finest attempt of the perpetuity required by the scale of a production whose closing act was known from the onset to cost many times that of the opening.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Yep, and who cares about the observation deck?

Unless of course, that's where they put their vacuum pumps.

Thanks Brad, you make this Wall a better place. Why don't they put that sort of stuff in the tourist guide books?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

The degree of vacuum relates to the load on the building.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

300 PSI for a district and someone is upset about leaks???

Only process applications require that kind of pressure.

• Brad White_9
    Options
    So THAT explains

all the mist in Seattle! Plug those leaks and you can start singing, "The Bluest Skies you Ever See are In Seattle..."
  • Brad White_9
    Options
    Degree of Vacuum?

Mmmmm, I may have to ask them that one- see if they do not get sick of me....

As Christian said, who cares about the observation deck? Too bad they use Con-Ed and not boilers, but still, it would be nice to get a field trip there, wouldn't it?

And was it not that hot relief vent King Kong grabbed just before he fell to his death? :)
  • Mark_46
    Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Brad

...too funny. I often wondered why King Kong fell, now i know :o).

About that field trip. That would be interesting. And for me easy to get to. I live just outside of NYC. I've been to the observation deck and I think I'd get a bigger kick from looking at the mechanicals of the building. But I doubt there is a pre-arranged tour for that part of the building.

Similarly, have you been to the Intrepid? Last time I visited I asked if the engine room can be viewed. The answer was no becasue most decks were closed to touring. (I think there is a lack of funds to prepare all decks for public viewing) But if most of the mechanicals werent removed when it was decommissioned there has to be some interesting stuff lurking below those decks.

Some info I found on it as built, wow:

• Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Steam tours

Remember a while back the people of the USS Massachusetts Battleship posted a question here. For heat, they use commercial heating boilers that they simply pipe into the ship's own main. Brilliantly simple. The question was about control issues and outdoor reset, I suggested dangling a thermostat out a porthole -thinking no one would notice the extra anchor anyways. I'm sure they found a tasteful way to solve their problem.

Perhaps there is a behind the scenes tour to get.

• Unknown
    Options
    if you go south

If u go south to Houston tx, there a battleship,"Texas". You can take self tour in almost anywhere in the ship, into the lower belly and looking up at the boilers.. Watch ur heads and stay fits to enter small openings... A really neat tour... I like the story about the men's toilet...
This discussion has been closed.