Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lifting Water Heaters

Larry Weingarten
Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,459
... a lift out of pipe and Key Klamps. It basically is two legs with a cross bar on top. A winch mounted on the side pulls a rope that lifts from the top center. A piece of "L" angls with two holes in it fastens down to the hot and cold nipples and hooks to the rope to lift the tank. I've used it to put 75 gallon heaters up on stands working alone. It's not difficult but does require some balance ;~)

Yours, Larry

Comments

• Darrell
    Darrell Member Posts: 303
    Lifting Water Heaters

Somewhere I've seen an advertisement for a rig that makes it possible and safe for one man to lift a water heater onto or off of a platform. It was a strap affair with handles and a hook or something that held the off side bottom of the tank. I work alone...can anybody direct my search for such an item?
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    water heater carrier

The only thing I'm aware of is and Electro Truck stair climber. They have light weight models and they are a great tool. I have an older one that weights a ton, but is the best investment I made early on in my business. For smaller tanks I use a simple handle made of copper fittings that give me a T handle on the supply conections at the top. A simple appliance dolley can be very useful as well. Get a set of big wheels for easy manuvering over stoops and rough ground.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Yes,

It is called a Rinnai Continuum. 45 lbs,24X14X9". To balance the load carry one on each side. Sorry to sound flip on this, but when I was working with the tools one day I went from being able to lift anything to NOT being able to lift anything. I cannot describe what a change that was...is!

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

I have an Escalera.

http://www.escalera.com/

Working with cast iron radiators as we do, we could not be without this. Here is a photo of a 400 lb. radiator. I can move radiators like this in and out of my truck, up and downstairs, with ease. Cast iron bath tubs are just not a problem anymore. It is not as heavy duty as some others brands, but we have used the heck out of this and it has stood up well.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh Member Posts: 184
    lifting straps

Darrell, I think this is what you are looking for:
    http://www.onemanwaterheaterlift.com
  • bob_34
    bob_34 Member Posts: 40
    escalera

do you know what the biggesr step the escalera can go over?thanks.
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

I think it is 11 inches.
    I looked into an Escalera some months back, and if I remember correctly, 11 inches is the highest step.

The information on the web site is very thorough.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Electric hand trucks are great until

you have to come up a very narrow stairway and make 5 turns thru the mudroom and kitchen. Here on Long Island, there are too few residential situations where they a practicable. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.