Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Most Efficient Type of Heater?

Options
Nick L. in Vt
Nick L. in Vt Member Posts: 87
propane that is. there are many fine condesing furnaces that are side vented, no chimney. we use thermopride and are very happy. hydronic(water) systems are better but it sounds like your going hot air. really really recommend experienced professional installation. hope it helps. :)They call me "Hot Pipe"

Comments

• Renee
    Renee Member Posts: 2
    Options

My parents own a rental property which I intend to buy from them eventually. The house needs major renovation. The entire roof, several windows, some appliances, porches, heating system, air conditioner, and some electrical wiring need replacing. The roof has to be raised for drainage purposes, and that project is the logical time to install heating and cooling. We already know what type of cooling we want, but we're not real sure about where to start on the heating.

The vents will have to be in the ceiling, and the ductwork will be between the ground floor and a 1/2 story/attic (with floor vents in the half story). We will be doing most of the carpentry work ourselves, and likely most of the installation. I don't know how much this affects the type of system we'd be looking at. We have gas and electric, but solar power isn't much of an option in our winter.

What suggestions are there for an energy efficient, effective system that suits those needs? This winter was mild, and gas bill from the rental was over $600 a month, and the house was kept at around 62F. Not good. Any help would be apprectiated.
  • Renee
    Renee Member Posts: 2
    Options

Natural gas. And thanks for your reply. Forced air, then?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Variable Speed 92+% furnace

The sky is really the limit here and it depends on what you would like to spend. Of course with any building envelope, you want to make sure that you are well insulated, and this in and of itself can save you "BUCKS". Variable speed can add great comfort to your property if you are willing to invest in the contractor that is selling the job. Don't worry so much about the equipment, but the company that will be installing the job. You are the one who has to be happy.....

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.