Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

master venting

What a way to ruin a good boiler with the pipings shown in pix. That's a weil mclain eg boiler... I say get the boiler manuel and repiped as required as well the ventings..
Homeowner worried about the color of countertop than the comfort /cost of heating? I'd be leery about that

Comments

• rob brown
    rob brown Member Posts: 69
    master venting

hi all. looked at a one pipe job today that needs some serious help. no main vents, never was that i can tell. low cieling in basement will make install difficult. any reason i couldn't (or shouldn't) do "master venting" at the top of the risers? also, any suggestions as to how much venting? main #1 2.5" 35' to end then up 3 stories. main #2 1.5" 30' to end, and again, up 3 stories. then, will it matter if the near boiler piping looked like this? i hope to sell them a redo on the piping also, but i don't want the venting to make all the existing problems worse.(hammer, spitting, uneven heat-the usual stuff). tia rob
  • First things first

Change the near-boiler-piping. Then worry about venting. Don't forget to check the boiler Sq. ft. to the e.d.r. of of all the rads.
  • rob brown
    piping

i would love to "lash up" a nice drop header for them, but it all comes down to the $$$$$.i was hoping some venting changes would save some $ and increase comfort so the h.o. wouldn't mind the hit on the piping so much. (and yes, the granite countertops are beautiful). i just dont want add vents and have the problems get worse. rob
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Vent the mains first

If headroom is a problem, you can drill the drip line at the end of the main and tap for the right size vent, as long as you can keep the tapping above the "A" dimension. Start with a Gorton #2 on the big main and a Gorton #1 or #D or Hoffman #75 on the small one.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    yup, i agree with KC,

that boiler piping needs fixing..no amount of ventings gonna help that piping job.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Venting isn't the issue

adding them will change nothing except maybe to add another place for water to squirt out.

The near boiler piping is completely wrong.

I would touch NOTHING on that system until the piping is corrected. Once you touch it, you own it.

Mark H

• rob brown
    piping

thanks for the replies guys, i guess i'll tell them that the piping ang the venting must be changed or to find someone else and let them own it. rob
This discussion has been closed.