Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbo ADS question

Options
Don Robertson
Don Robertson Member Posts: 43
The wirsbo ADS program is for Radiant Floor Heating. It assumes that the heat source is probably in the floor and is concerned with the energy going to the wrong place. That is why they want insulation in the floor. If there is radiant tubing in the floor with no insulation all of the Btu's will be "sucked" into the cold basement.I think Wirsbo recomends at least R20 for over an unheated basement. ADS is probably not a great choice for computing a heat loss for baseboard or convective heating. It is an outstanding program for RFH. Hope this helps.

Comments

• Dave_22
    Dave_22 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Wirsbo ADS question

I am trying to compare heatloss packages- slant fin HE2 and Wirsbo ADS. On the ADS, when you are working out the "floor" information, I am trying to figure out what to put for "insulation R value"??? It is over a unheated basement, so I put zero..... It had a default number of 5. It jacked my heatloss in that room 3 times greater than the HE2 software!!! What gives???? Thanks for any input.
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    basement floor

Look at concrete on your calculator, and the ground temp is usually about 52 degrees F. You can figure out the load of heat needed. Insulation factor "R" is
    1 Devided by that load! DID i get that correct?
  • Dave_22
    Dave_22 Member Posts: 232
    Options

You can "unselect" radiant and check the "other heating" for the room. I just wanted to see what it would give if I selected to use panel rads in this room.
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    careful

"other heating" means supplemental heat in btu's. I have never used the ADS for anything but RFH. This is a great program, it just has a bit of a learning curve to it. I still use my ADS software on quick jobs, but have found Wrightsoft to be my one stop shop, I can draw a building in 15min to 1/2 hour, then just play w/ drop down menus and it will give me Manual J heat loss/gains, radiant losses, infiltration, equipment selection, proposals w/ the equipment model # automatically inserted in the proposal, and cost of operation differences between different types of heat. Great program, bit of a learning curve though...

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
This discussion has been closed.