Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

submersible well pump problem

Options
KMD
KMD Member Posts: 10
I know this question doesnt belong on this forum but I know most of you guys are experts in plumbing also. I am an HVAC( tin knocker) and have been visiting this forum for years trying to learn more about hydronic heating side of the business verses forced air which is what I do.

I have a question about well pumps. My well pump keeps cycling about every 10 minuets when no water is turned on. I checked the differential pressure switch and it seems to be operating properly. My question is do you think the problem is a leaky line going to the pump or a bad check valve at the pump?

Sorry again to post this on this board, I just dont know of any good plumbing forums.

Comments

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    either that

or a water closet running. A soft-seated check valve should have been installed on the inlet side of the tank-T, which would hold water in the home's system and prevent a back-flow into undergeround or well piping or through a bad pump-check. When you fix the leak, I'd urge you to install the check at the tank as well.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ericjeeper
    Ericjeeper Member Posts: 179
    Options
    water logged expansion tank

sounds like a water logged expansion tank.
  • Liberal Lenny
    Liberal Lenny Member Posts: 33
    Options
    re: Check Valve

Make sure your pressure gauge on the well tank is working properly, then after the pump cycles and the pressure switch reaches the cut out pressure, watch the gauge to see if it drifts back down.If this is the case you have a bad check valve, or you have a break in the line or your pitless adapter has failed.To test your tank, drop the pressure in the tank ( turn well pump off, drain tank until 0 pressure), take a tire gauge and check your bladder pressure should be a shrader valve at the top of the tank.This pressure should be two psi under the cut in pressure, if it isn't pump up the tank and test it after 20 mins, if the pressure goes down you have a bad bladder and need to replace the tank. Hope this helps.
  • curiousity kills
    curiousity kills Member Posts: 118
    Options

shut the main valve off to the home.If the pump comes on in 10 min. it is on the well side. If not it is the house side
This discussion has been closed.