Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

On the cusp (PAH)

Options
Bob Bona_4
Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
fittings get even more solid under pressure once the seal gets "puffed" up. They can be stiffly rotated w/o affecting seal.

Comments

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Thumper or Crusher???

On the horns of a dilemma. We're either going to purchase the Ridgid "Crusher" , AKA - Da Jaws of Leakless Life, for pipe fittings or an air-powered "Thumper" AKA - Da mole - for pounding holes through earth and rock - up to 150'.

Right now, we're doing a Cheeseburgers in Paradise restaurant with hundreds of joints from 2" down to 1/2", so the Ridgid ProPress is looking like the winner.

But, we've water service lines to do too & Da Mole would let us woik schmarter, not harder.

One at a time, so which one's to be first?

I'd really appreciate some feedback from the folks utilizing ProPress. Might be good at holiday time for cracking nuts!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    DOES NOT MATTER !

Since Murphy's law will let you buy either one and it will sit unused till you buy the one you didn't. Come on Dave you know that!
  • Crusher

I just started crushing copper with Viega’s Ridgid 320 E battery ProPress system. I have on order the smaller compact unit but there seems to be none available at this time. My Viega Rep. (Tim Cutler) has loaned me his Demo until mine comes in. So far, I can’t say enough about the way it has been performing but it’s a bit early for me to say it’s worth the investment.

What the heck am I going to do with all those sweat fittins now!

Wallace Radiant Design

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Dave

Get the Pro-press tool. I too have been looking at the moles (I've borrowed a few over the years) but I could count maybe a dozen times it was really necessary. I personally think you'll get alot more use out of the Pro-press tool. Have you ever tried pulling a service with the aviation cable trick?

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Crusher

Have had the plug in the wall model(not big on battery tools) since the spring. Rigid CT-400 the big one a little heavy and some what akward but would not trade it for the world. before you can say light the torch you are done with a leak proof joint every time.Talk with Ferguson Ent. they should be able to find you a loaner to test drive. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Floyd_18
    Floyd_18 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Buy the Propress....

It will pay you back many times over. I will soon post pics of a large Comm. radiant job where the sucker paid for it's self in one job. Three boilers and eighteen pumps to fourty seven zones. (I think...) been hard to keep track of everything...:-)

Anyway, if you check quick, there are a couple of the corded units on E-bay... one is a 600 and another in the 400 range... defintely a steal.

There is a 320e cordless at a fair price also.....

Don't know how much the thumper dohickey costs, but at the interest rates that you can get right now, it might pay to finace it and pay it back with the bucks you save. Been there done that......

I do know that once you got the PP in the arsenal your guys will be fighting for it!!!! Espec. on larger stuff... can't beat it.

Be prepared to spend at least 5G to get a decent stock of fittings though.

Floyd
  • swanmech
    swanmech Member Posts: 69
    Options
    I have both.

The mole is great but only use 6-8 time a year. The ProPress is being use almost daily. Great labor saving on boiler installs. Only things is, apprentice will never learn to solder well!

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Three things !

Pro-Press

Pro-Press

Pro-Press

Dave, we have a larger battery version which does 2" down to 1/2" and a smaller battery unit that does 1/2" to 1".
    Its a fight eveyday over who gets it and when. This tool will save your labor for many jobs to come.

Just Do IT !

Scott

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Both?

A guy with your money.................. :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Hah!

It's not my money - it's the company's money, which means it's also the fund that allows us to ride the bumpy road of taking on large commercial projects without having to constantly be borrowing against our line of credit to meet bills.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Dave,

The ProPress has been made obsolete overnight thanks to Nvent's push fitting. I held off of buying the Propress tool for the last two years because of a conflict of having to buy that, AND Wirsbo's own crimping tool for PAP. Once Nvent came out 2 months ago, there is no need for Propress and the bulky tool. Nvent has every fitting imaginable, and I know that here in CT, my supplier stocks up to 2".
  • Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Nvent

Is Nvent like the Sharkbite fittings, and is there any question of meeting codes?
  • Floyd_18
    Floyd_18 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    check this out....

http://www.nventsolutions.com/default.aspx?pageid=139

I have used the Sharkbite fitting and they have their place... however they are no good when it comes to any kind of stiffness to the connection. They spin like they are on ball bearings!!!!
    NOT something that I want to use to put together my heating system....
    Maybe the Permalinx is different.... but it don't look like it to me. I'm sure I'll come across one sooner or later.... I hope it's later.....

Floyd
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I don't see

where you'll get the rigidity that comes from the ProPress, such as in making manifolds. Ya, I know it tips the fitting a little, we adjust for that. But these shark bite fittings, I don't see building a manifold or boler room piping with them.

On a Freeze-up at 10:00 PM..... Oh I may start carrying a few.

Scott

• swanmech
    Options
    Shark bite fittings.

> where you'll get the rigidity that comes from the

> ProPress, such as in making manifolds. Ya, I know

> it tips the fitting a little, we adjust for that.

> But these shark bite fittings, I don't see

> building a manifold or boler room piping with

> them.

>

> On a Freeze-up at 10:00 PM..... Oh I may

> start carrying a few.

>

> Scott

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 237&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• swanmech
    Options
    Shark bite fittings.

Saw them at ish (boston). My thoughts (homecenters)

This discussion has been closed.